- New York, San Francisco, Chicago, Washington, D.C, Denver, Philadelphia and other citites
- Salary is based on experience and location.
- Closing date
- Jun 2, 2023
- Job Role
- Legal, Environmental Services
- Contract Type
- Full Time
- Level of qualification
- CPA, CPA: Director/Executive
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Miami, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Houston, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC with staff in over 30 states.
Reporting to the Vice President of Finance, the Controller oversees a team of 10 and is responsible for protecting the organization’s financial assets, managing financial risk, guiding decision making, and overseeing the accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll and audit functions of the organization. The Controller ensures that financial policies are established, refreshed and enforced; records are kept in a timely manner and in accordance with GAAP; and that adequate controls are in place to safeguard the organization’s assets. The Controller is an organizational leader on risk, serves on the Finance Leadership Team and contributes to the overall effective functioning of the organization. The Controller ensures that staff receive adequate training, guidance, and support to be successful. The Controller leads collaborative efforts on the continual improvement of the organization’s functioning and is a leader in representing the organization’s values, mission and commitment to justice and equity.
This position can be permanently remote (in the US). There is also opportunity to work from an Earthjustice office if located nearby and interested in working from an office space.
- Oversee all accounting activities for the organization including financial closes and reporting, payroll, and accounts payable.
- Develop and implement accounting policies and procedures to ensure accurate interim and year-end financial statements.
- Assess business risks and respond accordingly to optimize effectiveness and create a strong internal control environment.
- Ensure on-time and accurate monthly, quarterly, and annual reconciliations and closes, including proper review and posting of journal entries.
- Ensure all accounting policies and practices conform to GAAP and any other relevant legal and regulatory frameworks, such as UPMIFA.
- Manage the process of allocations/assessments.
- Manage reconciliations of investments to general ledger each quarter and post activity to the general ledger.
- Administer 403(b), 457(b) and any other financial benefits plans.
- Ensure accounting team has necessary tools to fully achieve team goals, including effective software applications.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, trainings, and conferences; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; and participating in professional societies.
- Oversee and ensure timely and successful completion of organizational audits, filing and issuance of financial statements.
- Oversee the annual audit: staff liaison the Audit Committee, assign and schedule staff preparation of workpapers, complete final review of all workpapers and draft Financial Statements to ensure accuracy and conformance with GAAP, and serve as main point of contact with audit firm for engagement scoping and work.
- Oversee annual IRS filings (990, and 5500) and state tax filings.
- Oversee and ensure compliance with federal, state, and local reporting and compliance standards.
- Oversee internal audit program to ensure compliance with financial policies, adoption of best practices, mitigation of risk and engaging in continuous improvement.
- Monitor use of lines of credit and credit cards to ensure organization has the resources necessary to meet day-to-day operating needs
Management & Partnership (50%)
- Set a vision for accounting functions in a constantly changing and increasingly complex organization.
- Effectively manage accounting team by providing regular feedback, setting annual goals, completing regular performance evaluations.
- Ensure all members of accounting team have clear goals, deliverables, objectives, and personal development plans.
- Demonstrate leadership to ensure that self and all members of accounting team align with organizational values.
- Support and champion organizational DEI goals.
- Partner closely with Vice President of Finance on departmental management and strategy.
- Lead and support finance projects within the department and throughout the organization.
- Manage relationships with Development to ensure effective integration of financial systems and reporting.
- Manage relationships with departments across the organization, staying abreast of strategic needs that may drive changes to financial policies, tools and risk management.
- Contribute to Operations Leadership Team efforts to manage risk, support staff and execute well-integrated projects in support of organizational growth and effective functioning.
Management (Essential Functions)
- Recruits and hires qualified candidates who fit position requirements and the work environment.
- Promotes change in terms of the expected benefits, as well as removing or lowering the impact of potential obstacles.
- Sets clear team direction that aligns with Earthjustice strategy, mission, and vision.
- Develops staff by identifying and encouraging training and professional development opportunities appropriate to role and creating development plans for all staff.
- Provides staff with consistent performance feedback – both positive and constructive -- and acts as a coach and mentor.
- Creates a learning culture, by encouraging debriefing after completion of significant stages of projects.
- Ensures that any direct reports who have supervisory responsibility are properly executing those functions.
- Creates a respectful and inclusive work environment for team and models respectful and inclusive behavior.
- Promptly addresses micro-aggressions and other concerns brought to their attention.
- Resolves interpersonal conflict among team members and brings in outside facilitators as needed.
- Communicates regularly with existing employees and encourages staff to raise concerns and to provide ongoing feedback.
- Creates or identifies strategic opportunities for team building and individual and overall staff engagement with one another in order to strengthen teamwork, interaction and collaboration.
- Values and uses individual differences and talents to improve employee satisfaction and the quality of collective work.
- Celebrates successes and helps team members to understand and manage setbacks.
*Supervisory Responsibilities: two direct reports; oversees team of 10 staff total
- Bachelor’s degree in related field, master’s degree in accounting preferred.
- Active CPA or CMA required.
- Minimum of ten years’ experience of increasing complexity in accounting, preferably in a non-profit setting, including at least five years of management experience.
- 3 or more years public accounting experience as an auditor preferred.
- Experience working with a board audit committee a plus.
- Knowledge of and experience applying GAAP in organizational settings.
- Proficiency with accounting packages and Office365.
- Superior judgment and ability to demonstrate adaptability to individual needs while not compromising integrity and financial needs of the organization.
- Excellent management and supervisory skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to translate complex financial information.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively across differences.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical abilities.
- Ability to identify issues of concern in a timely way and devise solutions.
- Track record of assessing organization needs and implementing policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to recruiting, hiring, developing and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Management (Essential Skills)
- Ability to effectively manage and lead a diverse team with emotional intelligence (self-awareness and understating of the impact of their behavior) and cultural humility (an understanding of the need for additional learning about different cultures, backgrounds and orientation and implementation of that learning daily management practices).
- Has self-awareness and understands the impact of behaviors and emotional intelligence in the workplace. Also understands team strengths and areas for development.
- Commitment to and experience in developing team skills and talents to meet the evolving needs of an organization.
- Ability to give and receive regular formal and informal feedback in a timely, constructive, respectful, and consistent manner and to incorporate debriefing into the team’s operations.
- Strong team mentorship and communication skills.
- Understands the individual and team strengths and areas for development and develops plans accordingly.
- Commitment to and experience in developing team skills and talents to meet the evolving needs of an organization.
Salary and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits that are comprehensive and competitive. We also offer an extremely congenial work environment and a casual dress code. As a 501(c)(3) organization, Earthjustice is a qualifying employer for purposes of the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
Salary is based on experience and location.
Salary range in New York, San Francisco: $223,700 - $248,500
Salary range in Chicago, Washington, DC, Seattle: $212,500 - $236,100
Salary range in Denver, Philadelphia, Juneau: $201,300 - $223,700
Salary range in New Orleans, Miami, Texas: $190,200 - $211,300
*Salary in other locations may vary.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter online via the Jobvite system by May 26, 2023. After that, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Please include the following application materials:
- Cover letter describing their interest in this position and how their skills align with the described duties and essential skills and abilities.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are given equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert