- Research Foundation of CUNY
- New York City, New York (US), Hybrid
- $149,519.00 - $175,000.00 annually + benefits
- Closing date
- Apr 8, 2023
- Job Role
- Education & Training, Nonprofit, Research & Development
- Contract Type
- Full Time
- Level of qualification
- CPA, Degree
This is a senior management position, reporting directly to the Chief Financial Officer. The incumbent will assist the CFO in managing the Research Foundation’s financial processes, making the necessary changes to upgrade and improve process policies and procedures, and develop the Finance team. Accordingly, the incumbent is charged with a full range of managerial and supervisory responsibilities, including communicating to staff members the mission of the Foundation and the purpose, policies and processes of the work unit. In addition to directing the on-going operations of the Finance department, the incumbent identifies and resolves problems, providing exemplary customer service, creating new business initiatives, implementing special projects, developing new staff skills, and realizing resource efficiencies. The incumbent models the highest standards of professional ethics and stays current in the field of financial management. The incumbent supports the work of other RF units by communicating effectively with leaders and staff, by allocating resources, when possible, to be of assistance to others, and by participating in team-based projects as needed.
- Assists the Chief Financial Officer in managing the overall financial and accounting functions of the Finance department.
- Supervises the Associate and Assistant Controllers in the day-to-day operations of the Finance department including monthly close.
- Oversees all financial and tax reporting. Confirms compliance with statutory requirements.
- Reviews annual budget, quarterly reports, monthly forecasts, and P&L.
- Monitors the collection of all revenue and payment of all expenditures and related recording of all transactions.
- In coordination with the CFO develops and maintains key banking relationships.
- Authorizes and approves bank transactions, debt investments, major expenditures, and capital project activities in the absence of the CFO.
- Assist the Chief Financial Officer with the establishment of financial policies and procedures.
- Establishes company-wide financial safeguards, implements standards, identifies emerging issues, and makes improvements to processes and systems where applicable.
- Assists with the development and management of annual Finance department goals consistent and supportive of the Foundation’s mission.
- Ensures proper hiring and training of Finance department staff. Conducts performance evaluations. Makes termination and disciplinary recommendations, where necessary.
- Performs other related job duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting required.
- CPA strongly recommended.
- Past experience as a Controller or Director of Finance preferred.
- Minimum of five years of professional work experience in financial management of organizations in the $100 million plus range.
- Experience with GAAP and non-profit financial accounting experience required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Problem solver with the ability to take the initiative and figure out how to get projects done.
- Sound judgment and good problem-solving capabilities.
- Ability to instill discipline in the organization and help advise leadership team.
- Team-oriented by nature, with a collaborative, inclusive, and hands-on leadership style.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suites such as Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
The Research Foundation of The City University of New York (RFCUNY) was established as a not-for-profit educational corporation chartered by the State of New York in 1963. RFCUNY supports CUNY faculty and staff in identifying and obtaining external support (pre-award) from government and private sponsors and is responsible for the administration of all such funded programs (post-award).
RFCUNY stands between CUNY’s principal investigators (PIs) and the sponsors who support them and strives to fulfill its essential responsibilities to both groups. Working closely with individual PIs and Grants Officers on the campuses, RFCUNY oversees employment, accounting, audit, reporting, purchasing, and special responsibilities that include management of a planned giving program; liaison with governmental agencies and foundations; negotiation of agreements; facility construction and renovation; protection and commercialization of intellectual property; and compliance with applicable standards in research involving human subjects, animal care, environmental and radiological safety, and conflicts of interest.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The Research Foundation of the City University of New York is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Americans with Disabilities Act/E-Verify Employer. It is the policy of the Research Foundation of CUNY to provide equal employment opportunities free of discrimination based on race, color, age, religion, sex, pregnancy, childbirth, national origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, domestic violence victim status, arrest record, criminal conviction history, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Visit our website for more benefits information: https://www.rfcuny.org/RFWebsite/employees/explore-enroll-in-employee-benefits/
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert