Finance Business Partner
- Maritime and Coastguard Agency
- Southampton, Hampshire (GB)
- Closing date
- Apr 4, 2023
- Job Role
- Finance Business Partner
- Contract Type
- Full Time
We welcome applications from all communities, and we don’t discriminate against any identity. We’re interested to hear from you, regardless of your background.
Are you a finance professional who has strong communication skills and the ability to build relationships with a wide range of stakeholders?
Do you enjoy working in a changing environment, leading the way forward in your area of expertise?
Would you like to make a difference as part of a high-profile Programme shaping the future of how the MCA and wider Department for Transport operates?
If so, we are looking for a Finance Business Partner and we would love to hear from you!
The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) implements the government’s maritime safety policy in the United Kingdom and works to prevent the loss of life and occurrence of pollution on the coast and at sea.
Safer lives. Safer Ships. Cleaner Seas.
Our vision is to be a world-leading organisation, accelerating the transition to sustainable shipping with non-negotiable safety standards. We put our people, our customers and our planet at the heart of everything we do.
The MCA is an Executive Agency of the Department for Transport, providing multiple statutory functions as flag, port and coastal State and delivering international obligations for search and rescue, environmental protection and responding to major maritime incidents.
The Finance function is a key enabler for the Agency to ensure we can deliver against this remit. As part of the Directorate of Finance, Compliance and Estates, the Finance Business Partners team is responsible for delivering the efficient, effective, value for money, management of the Agency’s budget by providing financial advice, challenge, support, insight and solutions to Directors and other budget holders. To provide direct support to the Head of Finance Business Partnering (HFBP) in support of the enabling functions.
Our Finance team is embarking on an ambitious transformation programme to provide superior finance business partnering and strategy services to the whole of the Agency. We need to on-board serious finance professionals, who really understand the business we are in, the challenges the agency faces in the medium to long term and can support the directorates to deliver to time, to cost and to quality.
The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) is currently in search of a new Finance Business Partner to support the Head of Finance Business Partnering. You will be specifically tasked with providing high quality analysis of financial data, providing significant challenge to budgeting and forecasting information in place to ensure the MCA meets its objectives included within its newly formed 3-year business plan.
This is a fantastic opportunity to become a part of the MCA Team whereby your daily role provides a valuable enabling function for the delivery of a life saving service. It is a fast paced role where no two days are the same and you will have the opportunity to meet and build lasting relationships with Internal and external stakeholders at all levels.
This role will be based in the Southampton HQ. MCA supports flexible working and operates a hybrid working model between home and office for this role, giving you greater flexibility over where and when you work. Details of the arrangement will be discussed further with your line manager.
There may be a requirement for occasional travel on official duty within the UK, which may involve overnight stays.
Your responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Support the Head of Finance Business Partnering and Assistant Director Strategic Finance, to provide accurate and timely information to the Director of Finance, Compliance and Estates in their role as a member of the MCA Board and the Executive Team.
- Gain an in-depth, detailed knowledge of relevant business areas through discussions with staff at all levels and through interpretation and analysis of relevant financial and non financial information.
- Work alongside Directors, Deputy Directors, Programme Managers and their teams, at all levels, on corporate plans, medium term financial planning, Government Spending Reviews, annual budgeting and monthly forecasting. To provide sufficient challenge to management to ensure data is realistic and achievable, and that data is provided according to prescribed timescales.
- Identify emerging financial pressures, risks and opportunities for savings, ensuring mitigation planning and appropriate reporting to management boards. Member of directorate management boards and CEO quarterly meetings.
- Work collaboratively with stakeholders on financial elements of business cases for spend approvals.
For further information about the role, please see visit our website.
To apply, please click on the ‘apply’ link.
Closing date: 11:55pm, Tuesday 4th April 2023.
We work to prevent the loss of life on the coast and at sea. We produce legislation and guidance on maritime matters, and provide certification to seafarers.
We provide a 24-hour maritime search and rescue service around the UK coast, and international search and rescue through HM Coastguard.
Who we are
We are a team of 1,050 staff and 3,500 volunteers. Our headquarters are in Southampton and we have offices and co-ordination centres around the UK coast.
We are responsible for:
- the safety of everybody in a vessel in UK waters
- the safety of all seafarers on UK flagged vessels
- making sure all equipment on UK vessels is fit for purpose
- making sure all seafarers on UK vessels have correct documentation
- the environmental safety of UK coast and waters
- the accuracy of hydrographic data on UK charts
- overseeing coastal rescue volunteers, hydrographics, seafarer certification and the port state control inspection regime
From 2016 to 2017, our priorities will be to:
- tackle recruitment issues within DMSS while building capability for our future in the international shipping arena through the successful implementation of the Survey and Inspection Transformation Programme
- we will reinvigorate the UKSR by using our professional knowledge to shape the actions following the recommendations in the Maritime Growth Study
- we will invest in, consolidate and stabilise the professional Coastguard coordination service, and strengthen the management of our Coastal Operation functions
- we will use our influence to improve the expertise of volunteer organisations that work on our behalf and do all we can to support the UK’s Drowning Prevention Strategy
- use our formal governance structure to support our delivery of efficiencies. This structure will support strategic thinking, research, innovation and underpin the improvements we make to MCA’s capacity to support economic growth and public safety
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert