- Champion Petfoods
- Auburn, Kentucky
- Competitive salary, annual bonus, medical/dental, 401k match, employee petfood program
- Closing date
- Apr 7, 2023
- Job Role
- FMCG & CPG, Manufacturing
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Champion Petfoods is expanding! We are excited to announce we are looking for an Operations Controller to join our rapidly growing company.
Champion Petfoods is an award-winning pet food maker with a reputation of trust spanning 35+ years. Founded in a small town in Alberta, Canada, Champion – with its ORIJEN® and ACANA® brands – is a key player in the global premium pet food industry. Our purpose, To Earn Pet Lover Trust Every Day so Pets Thrive for a Lifetime, provides the foundation for our highest aspirations as a company.
We would love to hear from you if you are passionate about personal and professional growth and see yourself as a key player contributing to our continued success as an award-winning company.
Champion Petfoods has an outstanding opportunity for an Operations Controller to contribute to the success of our rapidly growing, well-respected international brands. Through our award-winning manufacturing facilities - we call them our kitchens - we continue to advance our mission of making Biologically Appropriate™ dog and cat foods from fresh regional ingredients.
Reporting to the VP of Commercial and Supply Chain Finance with a dotted line to Director of Operations, the Operations Controller will lead and report on financial activities for Champion Petfoods’ state of the art facility in Auburn, KY. The Operations Controller is a key business partner to the site leadership and related internal departments to Champion Petfoods. This position is responsible for providing analytical and strategic support to Champion Petfoods’ Kentucky Operations management and sites functions, and implementation of agreed-to programs and plans aligned with Champion’s vision and values. The Operations Controller will also be responsible for working with internal departments to champion cost control initiatives that will strengthen internal controls at the site.
The Operations Controller works out of the office connected to our state-of-the-art production facility in Auburn, Kentucky.
- Plan, study and collect data to determine costs of actual business activity such as raw material purchases, inventory, by- products, waste, labor and overhead at the facility.
- Financial analysis and forecasting to provide the leadership team and site management proactive information, guidance, and tools.
- Make recommendations based on results from analysis of the operational scorecard, performance reporting, and site KPIs, and provide direct actions to achieve strategic goals through operational trends.
- Focus on Loss reporting; Report reasons for issues, implement processes to improve
- Create the site Annual Budget plan and quarterly forecasts.
- Conduct reporting weekly, monthly, and yearly, and conduct related closing activities, such as performing variance analysis, cost analysis for materials and inventory, and operating expense analysis.
- Work with site leadership to ensure capital policy is followed, quotes are validated and complete.
- Recommend financial policies in conjunction with the goals and objectives of the company and ensure internal controls are in place.
- Manage month-end activities, variance analysis and monthly reconciliations including reconciling monthly inventories both at the facility and 3rd party warehouses.
- Implementation of agreed programs while ensuring that company achieves budget goals.
- Assessment of continuous improvement with projects and processes, measure and report progress toward planned objectives.
- Review general ledger accounts to ensure consistency and accuracy and adherence to GAAP.
- Work actively with operations, procurement, maintenance, warehousing and shipping departments to reduce inventory balances and free up capital.
- Operations obsolescence reporting and analysis and contribute to improving obsolescence results at Supply Chain Material Review meetings.
- Lead the site component of year end external audit.
- Coordinate sales and use tax filings
- Management and goal / review process completion for your departmental staff.
- Develop staff, train on new processes, balance resources
- University Degree in Finance/Business (CGA/CMA/CA/CPA preferred with manufacturing experience).
- Minimum 10 years of professional experience in accounting and cost control in a food manufacturing environment and 5+ years in an accounting leadership role.
- Proficient in inventory costing methodology, components of raw materials (treatment by products, freight, taxes, duties), direct labor and overhead pools.
- Current knowledge of accepted accounting standards, practices, tax laws, and reporting requirements.
- Computer literacy, including strong skills in MS Office, Excel, Great Plains, and ERP with ability to quickly adapt to, or to learn, new software.
- High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons or facts.
- Strong organizational abilities, including planning, prioritization, and execution skills.
- Solid time management skills and ability to work well under pressure and to meet set deadlines.
- Good judgment and decision-making abilities, including strong problem identification and problem resolution skills.
- Self-directed, with ability to work successfully both independently and as a team member and team leader.
- Strong leadership skills and high energy level for team success in a small team environment.
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written, and good interpersonal skills, with ability to develop and maintain successful working relationships with diverse individuals or groups.
- Fluent in English, both written and spoken.
- Occasional travel to our facility in Canada may be required once or twice per year.
- Extended hours of work may be required.
- Annual Incentive Eligibility: This position is eligible to participate in an annual incentive plan. Awards are based on the achievement of both individual objectives as well as company objectives.
- Benefits: This position is eligible for medical, dental, 401k benefits, and annual vacation.
Champion is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert