Part-Time Finance Officer - Orkney Native Wildlife Project (Fixed-Term)
Reference: DEC(phone number removed)
Orkney Native Wildlife Project – Kirkwall Office
£21,622.00 - £23,987.00 Pro Rata
Hours: Part-time, 15 hours per week
Contract: Fixed-term until 31st December 2024
Benefits: Pension, Life Assurance, 26 days Annual Leave (pro-rata)
The Orkney Native Wildlife Project (ONWP) has an exciting opportunity to develop and deliver the communications for the project. As the first stoat eradication project in Europe and the world's largest non-native species eradication attempted to date, this is a unique opportunity based in the Orkney Islands.
The Project started in 2018 and is a partnership between RSPB Scotland, NatureScot and Orkney Islands Council, made possible by generous funding from the National Lottery Heritage Fund, EU LIFE, partners and donations. Its purpose is to work with local communities and landowners to implement an eradication operation to safeguard the unique and internationally important native wildlife of Orkney by addressing the threat from an invasive non-native predator: the stoat. Stoats threaten the Orkney vole, and many birds including hen harriers, short-eared owls, red-throated divers, waders, and seabirds. The project also implements measures to prevent the spread within and re-introduction of stoats to Orkney.
What is the role about?
As Finance Officer, you will be responsible for all finances relating to external funders, working with stakeholders and to strict deadlines. You will have experience in financial management of projects, be responsible for managing the budget in accordance with funder and RSPB requirements, ensuring all potential variances are documented correctly. You will have responsibility to provide financial reporting to funders and partners. You will have responsibility to purchase goods and services for the project and work within the procurement policy of RSPB, partners, and funders.
We need someone who is highly organised and has a good attention to detail. This role requires a collaborative approach, that combines the ability to adapt to changing priorities and under pressure, while working under your own initiative to achieve results and to tight deadlines.
* Keeping an accurate and up-to-date budget
* Management of financial administration
* Preparation of financial reports for management, funders, and partners
* Procurement of goods and services for the project in accordance with funder and partner procurement policies
* Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
* Able to deal with confidential and sensitive information appropriately
* Recognise and minimise RSPB financial risk through monitoring project compliance with external grant conditions and taking action to improve systems and processes.
* Use of Microsoft Office applications (especially Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
Essential skills, qualifications and experience
* Education at higher level or equivalent, or the ability to demonstrate work-related experience and evidence a high level of literacy.
* Financial analysis skills
* Experience of planning, creating, and evaluating financial reports
* Experience of producing financial claims
* Experience of working with complex budget information
* Good working knowledge of excel spreadsheets
* Ability to use Microsoft office including work, excel, powerpoint and outlook
* Proven ability to meet deadlines
* Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing
* Proven organisation and time management skills
* Working with EU Life and National Lottery Heritage Funded projects
The RSPB reserves the right to extend or make this role permanent without further advertising dependent on business needs at the end of the contract term.
Closing date: 23:59, Tuesday, 31st January 2023
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position from 9th February 2023
If you would like to apply and find out more about this position, please click the apply button to be directed to our website.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
This role is not eligible for UK Visa Sponsorship - the successful applicant will need to have a pre-existing Right to Work in the UK in order to be offered an employment contract.
No agencies please