- Marine Technology Society
- Working from home
- Base of $80,000 plus benefits and incentive pay
- Closing date
- Feb 5, 2023
- Job Role
- Nonprofit, Oil, Gas & Energy, Environmental Services, Software & Technology
- Contract Type
- Full Time
- Level of qualification
The Marine Technology Society (MTS) believes that advancements in the development and use of marine technologies are essential to support responsible and sustainable use of the ocean. Founded in 1963, we are an international professional society that provides members of academia, government, and industry a common forum for the exchange of information and ideas. Our members are engineers, scientists, technologists, policy makers, and educators on the leading-edge of technology design and application. MTS members work within the full spectrum of ocean and subsea technologies that support sustainable ocean use, ranging from offshore energy to dynamic positioning, ocean robotics to buoys, and many more.
In 2023 the MATE Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) Competition, including the online SeaMATE store, will join MTS as a fully integrated division within the Society. For more than 20 years, the MATE Competition has given children, youth, and young adults an inclusive platform to think critically about real-world problems in a way that strengthens communication, builds peer-to-peer community, and inspires entrepreneurship. Since its inauguration, the annual competition has reached more than 20,000 students in 46 regions around the world.
MTS seeks a full-time Senior Accountant to join our small and mighty headquarters team. Reporting to the Deputy Executive Director, the Senior Accountant leads day-to-day full cycle accounting activities for MTS, including analyzing financial reports, performing account reconciliations, maintaining the general ledger, and managing audit preparations. Independently and with some basic oversight, the incumbent will execute routine pre-award and post-award administration of research grants &/or contracts.
The Senior Accountant can be based anywhere in the US, with a preference for contiguous time zones.
This role includes the following essential functions, and other duties as assigned:
Full cycle bookkeeping – Prepare and process cash disbursements, check runs, payroll, invoices, and wire payments as needed and in accordance with established approval processes and procedures. Execute daily deposits of cash and checks, as required, and reconcile daily cash receipts and deposit information from Payscape to Memberclicks. Reconcile the payroll register received from Paychex and ensure timesheets have been prepared and approved by management in accordance with MTS policy. Monitor and ensure timely collection of accounts receivable. Reconcile all bank accounts for the organization monthly. This includes booking all Section & Committee event revenue and expenses found during the reconciliation process. Maintain and monitor banking requirements for OCEANS conferences. Ensure MTS follows document retention requirements and policies. This includes but not be limited to timesheets, employment applications, tax withholding forms, contracts, letters of intent, and MOU’s.
Monthly financial statement preparation and management reporting – Manage and maintain the general ledger and related subsystems. This includes reconciling all balance sheet accounts monthly and updating/maintaining receivables, payables, and other related subsystems. Prepare timely and accurate monthly unaudited financial statements and management reports. Meet with the CEO to analyze and review the financial statements and to discuss budget, regulatory filings, revenue and expense forecasts, and other operational and planning topics.
Grant and contract management – Assist in review of grant agreements, contracts, and other organization arrangements. Advise program teams on the appropriate use of grant funds in a manner consistent with MTS policy, granting agency guidelines, and all applicable federal regulations. Monitor balances of grant expense, prepare ad-hoc reports, invoices, and budget modification requests to funding agencies, and advise MTS leadership of trends that need to be addressed, or provided for, in planning future expenditures. Prepare 1099s for any contractors that meet the requirements and ensure 1099 requirements are assessed when new vendors are added to the accounts payable subsystem.
Annual budget, reporting, and audit – Manage and assist in the preparation of annual capital and operating budgets and cash flow forecasts as required. Manage the year-end closing and annual audit including preparation of necessary audit schedules as requested by the external auditors. Review draft and final Auditor's Financial Statements to ensure accuracy. Oversee preparation and timely filing of the annual 990 Informational tax return. Assist in the development and review of employee benefit and retirement plans. Prepare required annual corporate filings for various states in which MTS conducts business.
What you bring to the role
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited academic institution (preference for Finance, Accounting, or related disciplines), and at least five years of full-time experience, preferably in a non-profit or association setting
- A current CPA or CMA credential
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), federal grants and Uniform Grant Guidance Strong knowledge of MS Office Excel, QuickBooks Online, and Bill
- A passion for the oceans and understanding of the importance of marine technologies
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Keen attention to detail as well as demonstrated time- and project-management skills, including an ability to meet multiple deadlines by maintaining a high level of organization
- Demonstrated ability to collect, interpret, and extract key details from myriad data to inform the refinement of near- and long-range financial and organizational strategies
- Pride in your attention to detail, ability to solve problems (sometimes with incomplete information), and desire to inform decisions with the best available data
What we have to offer
- Salary commensurate with experience and negotiable, expected to be approximately $80k per year, with annual bonus opportunities
- MTS staff work flexible hours, fully remote, and with access to co-working space in select cities
- 403(b) retirement match up to 5%, vested immediately
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, and vision for you (90% employer paid for dependents)
- 2 weeks paid annual leave, 2 weeks paid sick leave, 13 paid holidays, and company closure days.
- $200 per month work from home stipend to help you succeed in a remote environment
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Application review will begin January 23, 2023 and continue until the position has been filled.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert