Procurement Policy and Systems Manager
Do you have public sector procurement experience and are excited about making change happen? Then why not join our enthusiastic and experienced team!
Cambridgeshire County Council is looking for a Procurement and Policy Systems Manager to join its experienced Procurement and Commercial Team. Focusing on legislative change, social value and Net Zero, this role will support the team to naviagate through these policy areas while establishing effective Management Information systems so that we can record and report on progress.
*Working with us means you will benefit from:*
* Generous annual leave provision
* A supportive management team that will champion your learning and development
* Work life balance and flexible ways of working
* A real focus on wellbeing and Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
* Access to the Local Government Pension Scheme with employer contribution
* Employee Assistance Programme – access to free support 24 hours a day
* Payment for business mileage expenses
* Employee Benefits scheme with lifestyle and shopping discounts.
A current member of the team says “You will be joining a very welcoming and friendly team of professionals, committed to delivering the best outcomes for Cambridgeshire’s residents, and passionate about delivering best value for every pound the County Council spends.”
*Overall purpose of the job*
The postholder will be responsible for embedding policy changes in the Procurement and Commercial Team to ensure the team operates efficiently, effectively and compliantly. The postholder will also be responsible for the development and maintenance of systems which enable the collection and reporting of key management information to the Council’s leaders, Members and as necessary to the public.
* Act as the subject matter expert on the new Procurement Act and related secondary legislation and develop and update the Procurement and Commercial Team’s working practices to ensure compliance and effectiveness. This work will need to be done in partnership with relevant stakeholders across the organisation to promote continuous improvement ensuring that change is aligned with corporate priorities.
* Act as the key driver for the continued implementation of the Council’s social value policy and develop the Council’s approach as necessary to maximise the social value delivered through the Council’s third-party contracts.
* Lead on the development and implementation of the Council’s Low Carbon Purchasing Strategy ensuring that the Procurement and Commercial Team’s contribution to the Council’s Net Zero targets are coherent and meaningful.
* Develop an effective system for the collecting of procurement and commercial related key management information from various systems across the Council using relevant technology and systems already in place such as ERP and ProContract. Provide high quality evidence-based advice and reports to Senior Leaders and Members as appropriate.
* Support the team’s approach to market development and market engagement with a particular focus on local supply chains.
* Work with the Senior Category Manager for People to implement the changes required by the new Provider Selection Regime for health-related services, developing guidance, updating template documents and workflows as required.
* Monitor and evaluate national legislation, policy and regulatory changes and respond to consultations and initiatives, briefing senior managers and ensuring guidance and procedures in the Procurement and Commercial Team are up to date.
* Work with the Head of Procurement and Commercial to develop high quality communications in relation to Procurement and Commercial services, working closely with the corporate communications team, including the development of key messages about change and compliance.
* Demonstrate an awareness and understanding of equality, diversity and inclusion.
*Qualifications, knowledge, skills and experience*
Minimum level of qualifications required for this job
*Qualifications Required* *Subject*
A relevant degree level qualification or equivalent and/or relevant compensating work experience in a similar position: Essential
Relevant professional qualification (MCIPS) and considerable post-qualification experience: Desirable
Minimum levels of knowledge, skills and experience required for this job
*Identify * *Describe* *Essential/* *Desirable* *Knowledge*
Public sector procurement regulations
A sound and detailed understanding of the public sector procurement legislative landscape and the imminent changes due to the new Procurement Act (2023) and Health Care Act (2022)
In-depth knowledge of the Social Value Act (2012) and implementing the provisions of the act into procurement practice
Net Zero/Climate Change
A sound and detailed understanding of the contribution that can be made by a procurement and commercial function in delivering Net Zero targets
Procurement and commercial services
An understanding, based on experience, of the strategy, business and functions of procurement and commercial services in a public sector context
Ability to analyse new policy and regulations to change and update working practices as required.
Ability to understand key strategic objectives and provide data, information and analysis aligned to those objectives
Management information system
Ability to establish, maintain and develop as necessary a procurement/commercial related management information system.
Strong communication skills to enable sometimes complicated information to be understood by a range of stakeholders including senior management and Members.
Have the skills necessary to work effectively as part of a team and as part of the wider organisation.
Understand and have the appropriate skills to manage the change that will result from the effective delivery of this role
Motivating and influencing
Ability to build relationships and influence colleagues and stakeholders to embrace change.
Ability to make clear management decisions taking into account the team’s and the Council’s key priorities.
Ability to deliver stretching objectives through effective prioritisation and the efficient use of resources.
Public sector procurement
Experience of working in public sector procurement.
Extensive experience of strategy and policy development
Analytical use of systems
Experience in using systems and data held in places such as e tendering systems, ERP systems and the Contract Register to produce relevant MI and reports to leadership and Members.
Providing balanced and professional advice and guidance to senior officers and Members.
Developing and maintaining effective working relationships with colleagues both within the team and across the organisation.
Significant experience of implementing and managing change.
Skilled networker with a track record of positive and influential relationships with colleagues, Members and partner organisations.
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (applies to all roles).
Ability to demonstrate awareness and understanding of equality, diversity and inclusion and how this applies to this role.
*Disclosure level - none*
*Work Type - Hybrid*
*This is a 2 year fixed term contract*
To apply, please send in your CV and a covering letter, outlining in the support statement how you meet the attached person specification.