The Billington Group have an exciting opportunity available in our Group People department. We are looking for a full-time Group Payroll Manage
r at our Liverpool office in the Cunard Building (Monday to Friday). This is a hybrid role working two days a week in our Liverpool office (more if the employee wants) and three days of home working, with weekly flexibility to suit both parties.
We are a food and agriculture business with subsidiary companies across the UK, employing around 2,000 people (https://thebillingtongroup.com/).
This role will take ownership of providing an efficient and effective Group Payroll service complying with employment and payroll legislation and internal procedures. Responsible for managing the payroll function and running the end-to-end payroll process for agreed payrolls.Key Accountabilities
The right person: Qualifications
- Portray a positive image of the company and its values in a professional manner at all times.
- Work in line with timescales and tasks as laid down in the Payroll Calendar to run the end-to-end regular payroll processing for a number of subsidiary businesses across The Billlington Group.
- Work with and lead the Group Payroll Team to provide an efficient payroll service for the Group.
- Provide cover for other payrolls as and when required.
- Responsible for your own day to day workload, planning effectively.
- Have lead responsibility for submission of the groupwide payroll, to ensure the monthly payroll is delivered to all employees in line with contractual obligations and financial requirements.
- Advise People teams on payroll issues as a key point of contact for pay related enquiries.
- Guide and assist the Group Payroll Team with complex queries.
- Work with, as required, subsidiary People teams or key trained employees on site who prepare all employee data for submission.
- Use the People and Payroll integrated system CHRIS21 to run end-to-end payroll processing.
- Accurate inputting of all statutory payments.
- Process system changes including starters, leavers and other amendments to employee data in compliance with policy and payroll requirements.
- Accurately prepare calculations for salary advances for subsidiaries as and when required.
- Completion of month end and yearend reconciliations and submissions for allocated payrolls, including full payment submissions to HMRC.
- Responsible for ensuring all 3rd party payment submissions and ensure they are completed in line with laid down timescales for the payrolls within your responsibility.
- The processing of relevant Inland Revenue forms including P45, 60 etc.
- Prepare information to assist in the provision of information to external agencies as required.
- Responsible for the administration of the company pension schemes for specific subsidiary payrolls and ensuring all payrolls comply with pension regulations.
- Provide ad hoc payroll reports as requested.
- Regular collation and submission of Benefit in Kind data for all relevant employees in line with HMRC laid down timescales.
- Ensure all relevant information is provided to Auditors during annual audit process.
- Keep up to date with new payroll legislations and best practice methodology, in particular changes highlighted by the HMRC throughout the year. Advise line manager of key changes in good time.
- Design, collate & analyse regular payroll KPI’s.
- Responsible for calculating annual groupwide Gender Pay Gap data.
- Liaise with fleet management to provide quarterly updates to HMRC (P46 car forms).
- Report & calculate monthly electric vehicle charging and provide data to relevant members of the payroll team.
- Work with Group Systems Implementation & Support Analyst as required to develop and maintain the People & Payroll system.
- Manage the working relationship between the Group Payroll team and site People teams, as the key contact for People Managers.
- Identify and implement areas where improvements/efficiencies can be made to processes.
- Together with the Group People team deliver key projects of the yearly Group People Strategy.
- Support Group Head of People & Group People Manager with ad-hoc work/projects as required.
- Any other duties which might reasonably be requested in association with this role to meet the needs of the business.
- Adhere to all company rules and procedures, paying particular attention to health and safety.
Good GCSE results including English and Maths.
CIPP Level 3 Certificate (Payroll Technician), or working toward / Foundation degree in Payroll management (level 4/5)
Advanced EXCEL Knowledge and Experience
Previous experience in managing/supervising a busy payroll department
Has worked with an integrated payroll/People system
Understanding of current UK employment law
Excellent numeracy, database and Excel skills
Strong Payroll legislation knowledge
A solid understanding and exposure to Tax and National Insurance with ability to perform manual calculations
Understanding of employment law including maternity/paternity/shared parental leave
Experience of using People and Payroll Integrated system CHRIS 21 (Frontier)
Pensions administration/legislation knowledge/experience Skills
Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate clearly and effectively at all levels
Ability to work in pressurised environment and manage priorities effectively
Demonstrable experience of working to deadlines
Good planning and organisational skills
To prioritise multiple tasks and to produce work of a consistently high standard
Confidentiality and discretion
Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills
To have exceptional attention to detail
Competence in Microsoft Office, especially Word, Outlook, Excel and MS Teams~
Enjoy working within a small team on all aspects of the Payroll function
Passion for figures and fine detail
To have a driving licence and access to a vehicleBenefits:
- Hybrid working
- Bonus scheme of 5% salary
- 25 days' holiday plus bank holidays
- 3% employer pension contribution (with employee making contribution of 5%)
- Employee Assistance Programme (24/7 wellbeing support)
- Health cash plan (Subsidised dental, optical and alternative therapies)
- Critical illness cover at preferential rates
- Cycle to work scheme
- Salary finance scheme (including pay advances and preferential loans)
- Death in service insurance (with option to increase)
- Company sick pay
- Free onsite parking