This exciting opportunity has arisen with Blackfinch for a talented adaptable, analytical and commercial leader who can drive forward our small but growing Energy Team.To manage the Energy team in all aspects of investment management activity in relation to energy / infrastructure deals from deal origination, valuation, structuring, project management, legal / commercial negotiation of key contracts and execution of new deals as well and responsibility for the on-going portfolio / investment management of existing assets. As Head of Energy, you will have line management responsibilities for the Investment Directors and Portfolio Director
.Key AccountabilitiesProject Development
Origination & Execution of New Deals
- Line manage the team overseeing existing projects in development with a view to ensuring their smooth journey from planning (where applicable using third-party contractors) through to consent and beyond into ready to build and ultimately commercial operations.
- Oversee and mentor the team to deliver key project contracts e.g. Option to Lease, Lease, EPC / TSA, MSA, BOP, PPA & Asset management contract etc in conjunction with legal and technical advice from third-party legal advisers / Owner’s Engineers. As Head of Energy it may be necessary to support the team in the negotiation process.
- Supervising, guiding and checking financial models, assumptions and data and expected project returns.
- Recommending and managing the use of third-party technical input. Responsible for signing off compliance with terms of grid connection offers;
- Overall responsibility for ensuring that the team understand planning stipulations and comply with these. Encouraging and supporting the team to work professionally and successfully with third-party advisors to efficiently discharge planning conditions.
- Leverage own network for new deal origination introductions and potential introducers;
- Keep abreast of change within the new renewable energy market and have deep understanding of potential risks how these can be mitigated. The Head of Energy will understand any potential impact on return on investment and impact on investor cost of capital.
- Have awareness of and oversee the financial model and valuation of new investment opportunities to ensure that transaction costs are accounted for and the level of return is sufficient to meet our investor cost of capital;
- Oversee sourcing of senior debt finance to help finance new investment opportunities;
- Supervise and support the team to correctly interpret scoping, instructing, financial and commercial due diligence reports;
- As Head of Energy you will keep abreast of all transactions within the team until financial close / completion, ensuring they are kept in line with agreed capex budgets / timescales;
- Overall responsibility for the Investment Committee papers and attendance at the Investment Committee when required.
- Ensuring that the teamwork in conjunction with Legal and Energy Fund Accountants where appropriate to ensure effective project management of transactions.
- Support the Portfolio Director with the active asset / investment management of the existing investment portfolio.
- Support the Senior Finance Director –Head of Investments Finance with any financial management, compliance and calculation of the Sedgwick share price and review of semi-annual financial covenants.
- Have awareness of risks within energy portfolio, how these can be mitigated and that the team deliver occasional strategic refinancing of the existing portfolio to maximise returns for investors;
- Attend operational site visits of existing and new investment assets from time to time as necessary;
- Oversee annual portfolio valuation reports working with third-party accountants.
Essential Skills & Qualities
- Be a cultural ambassador for Blackfinch and lead by example. Fostering a can-do attitude and one that develops all staff to aspire to continuously improve;
- Take responsibility for ongoing coaching and development of whole team within the energy;
- Support the business and lead where appropriate, the launch of new products and initiatives;
- Ensure compliance with all company policies, regulatory, professional and legal requirements;
- Ensure a culture of positive engagement and development of all staff in the team;
- Keep up to date with sector developments, government policy, new products and relevant economic trends impacting the sector;
- Develop the Energy Strategy, coupled with the identification and implementation of new internal business controls, policies and processes to improve organisational efficiency as the energy team grows;
- Support the attendance of the team at ad-hoc industry conferences, networking and corporate hospitality events to represent and promote the Blackfinch brand / grow professional network / support new deal origination activities; and
- Any other ad-hoc duties as required.
- Good degree from a leading university;
- Strong financial modelling / understanding of discounted cashflow valuation techniques, ideally supported by a professional qualification;
- Strong people leadership & coaching skills / emotional intelligence;
- Willingness to be a cultural ambassador for the company;
- Strong relationship management & influencing skills;
- Strong negotiation skills and commercial awareness;
- The ability to prioritise, organize, delegate as appropriate and work autonomously;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail;
- Ability to work within a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment and meet stretching deadlines;
- A proactive and confident attitude with a high level of personal drive, resilience and initiative.
Blackfinch is an equal opportunities employer that values diversity and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, religious practice or any other perceived differences. A copy of our Equal Opportunities Policy is available upon request.