The purpose of the role is to provide a complete financial service including responsibility for the sound and accurate recording and reporting of all financial matters relating to the Authority for the Committees/Services designated to the Accountant.
To prepare and assist with the control of the relevant budgets, promote excellence in corporate financial systems and aid the professional development of the Accounting Technician.
Key Duties and
* Managing and training Accounting Technician. * Managing, developing, overseeing change to and integration of accounting systems, including Payroll, to ensure accurate reporting of management accounts for all levels of internal and external customers. * Preparing and assisting with control (including virements, coding checks etc.) of budgets including preparing of relevant management accounts for SLT/CMT/Committee and compiling the Review of Fees and Charges. * Preparing final accounts in accordance with the relevant CIPFA Code of Practice and including the necessary liaison with External Audit. * Financial Management System Accounting and maintenance, including Business Management System control and other departmental systems and maintaining the Collection and General Fund, as appropriate. * Providing financial management information and advice and other relevant liaison with customers including financial contributions to corporate groups. * Capital accounting and maintaining the capital programme, leasing and financing as appropriate. * Setting up and maintaining of operating accounts and trading accounts as appropriate. * Balancing accounts, including salaries, bank reconciliation and VAT as appropriate. * Completing returns, claims and bids. * Promoting, developing and maintaining computerised financial systems and providing online information. * Maintaining appropriate records and documentation, observing the need for security and confidentiality as necessary. * Value for money reviews preparation and support, including returns and comparisons, as appropriate. * Advising compliance with the Financial Instructions. * Committee support and advice, as appropriate including the preparing and presenting of statutory reports. * Administration of the treasury management function. * Administration of the Council mortgages and mortgage system. * Management of the Councils insurance policies and the investigation, administration and processing of claims and advice to officers.
* AAT qualified. Evidence of continuing professional development * Professionally qualified Accountant
* At least 2 years post AAT qualification working within an accountancy/finance office. Budget setting, budget monitoring/forecasting and closure of accounts.
* Experience of working within the Local Government secto
Skills and Abilities:
* Able to demonstrate an understanding of the relevant legislation and interpret its effects. Good written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills. Including communication of financial information to non-finance staff.
* Ability to write clear and concise reports of a financial nature.
* Ability to assess, amend and adapt financial systems and appropriate IT skills to extract, manipulate and report financial management information.
* Supervisory skills and the ability to be a member of and contribute to the work of a team.
* Monday to Friday 9am till 5pm * Working for a local Council * Pay rate of £13.71 per hour to £18.85 per hour depending on experience
Acorn Recruitment acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment