Tax Compliance Manager
Palo Alto, CA
San Diego, CA
Los Angeles, CA
San Francisco, CA
At Perkins Coie, we look for individuals that are self-motivated, dedicated to providing value and superior services and, above all, people who have a high degree of integrity and enthusiasm for their work. We’ve created a company culture that is based on collaboration, devotion to serving our clients, and mutual respect. Perkins Coie is committed to advancing diversity and inclusion both within the firm and throughout our collective communities. Work for one of the 100 Best Workplaces in America, get great health insurance, tuition reimbursement, your birthday off, and paid sabbaticals.
Responsible for managing the tax compliance of Perkins Coie Law Firm, Investment, and Foundation legal entities by partnering with outside service providers and internal finance team members. Responsible for monitoring and understanding firmwide transactions to determine tax consequences.
These essential functions are primary job duties that incumbents must be able to perform unassisted or with some reasonable accommodation.
• Reports to the Director of Tax Planning & Compliance for all tax aspects related to the firm including:
• Gathering and reviewing information from internal resources necessary to file federal and state income tax estimates, extensions, and tax returns, as well as FBAR and Residency Certifications, firmwide.
• Reviewing internally prepared tax work papers for investment entities and foundations.
• Communicating information requests and coordinating for timely filed tax returns with outside service providers for firmwide filing requirements.
• Managing all aspects of state tax composite elections and tax filings firmwide.
• Providing tax estimates and Schedule K-1 forms to partners firmwide.
• Creating and maintaining a tax calendar for firmwide tax filings.
• Managing, reviewing, and coding outside service provider billings.
• Coordinating and communicating due dates, and review of internal property tax, B&O, and other tax filings.
• Working closely with investment accounting professionals to monitor asset transactions and perform due diligence to determine any tax consequences.
• Creating and maintaining a database for investments including important tax attributes such as QSBS, accrued interest, note conversion, and others.
• Researching the ability to write off investments for taxes.
• Gathering tax information for tax filings with outside investment companies.
• Reviewing and responding to tax notices as received.
• Managing audits of federal and state tax filings as necessary.
• Auditing internal tax filings for accuracy.
• Documenting internal tax positions taken, materiality thresholds, and other transactions.
• Perform other duties, as assigned.
• Be present at work during regularly scheduled working hours and as needed in the position, consistent with the firm’s attendance expectations.
SPECIFIC SKILLS REQUIRED
Demonstrated ability to work effectively with partners and other affiliates of the firm, including their CPAs. Working knowledge of flow-through entities. Self-starter. Effective multitasking and prioritization skills. Strong organization, problem-solving, planning, and decision-making skills. Ability to express self effectively, both orally and in writing. Ability to establish effective working relationships throughout operational groups. Fluent in MS Office applications, especially Excel. Detail-oriented, while maintaining focus on the larger picture.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Requires a bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, or equivalent. Requires a master’s degree in taxation, or equivalent. Requires a minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible tax and accounting experience. A minimum of 2 years of investment asset taxation experience is preferred.
This position may be filled in Denver and in accordance with the Colorado Equal Pay Act, the compensation range in Denver for this position is $111,190 to $173,630, depending on qualifications and experience. Perkins Coie may provide a discretionary bonus annually and information regarding benefits can be found here:
Perkins Coie is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or any other category prohibited by local, state or federal law. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, compensation, benefits, social and recreational activities and termination.
To Apply, visit: