- Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
- Location: 100% work-remote within United States
- Employment type: Full-time with benefits
- Start Date: January 2023
What’s the job and who is Nuru?
The Finance Manager will work across Nuru International’s global team to carry out and enhance the operational and financial systems, processes, and policies throughout the organization. This role manages the accounting and finance functions of our US-based NGO as well as providing capacity development and support for our country projects in Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Kenya, and Nigeria.
Founded in 2008, Nuru International establishes locally-led NGO’s in Sub-Saharan Africa which work to eradicate extreme poverty and unlock economic potential in rural farmer communities. This goal is achieved by transitioning vulnerable smallholder farmers from subsistence to professionalized farming as a business. While Nuru staff technically work for separate and distinct locally-run organizations based in various countries, we all operate under a shared vision to cultivate lasting meaningful choices in the most vulnerable and marginalized communities in the world.
Nuru International has been a fully remote team since 2008 and will continue to be one. All Nuru International staff members work from a location of their choice.
What you’ll be doing:
- Execute annual budgeting and planning process; meet with managers monthly to support strong financial management for each department
- Prepare monthly and quarterly reports/data, including dashboards; focus on budget forecasting and cash flow, reconciling differences between actual and projected results
- Support country projects in maintaining accurate financial records and efficient administrative systems; review monthly reports and provide feedback and guidance
- Track key financial metrics to measure the organization’s progress toward its fundraising goals; work with Marketing & Development (M&D) team to create and monitor budgets for donors
- Execute all payroll processing and finance aspects of benefits processing, including the organization’s 401(k) employee plan
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue and program expenditures
- Track the performance of invested assets in keeping with policies and investment guidelines
- Ensure compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements, helping the COO to execute the month-end and year-end procedures in line with performance targets
- Execute audit activity and communicate as required with the appointed audit firm
- International and domestic travel required (10-15%); frequent calls required with Africa teams during Africa working hours.
What you should have:
- Passion for Nuru International’s mission; eagerness to travel to Africa
- 3-5 years of finance and analysis experience with increasing levels of responsibility and deep knowledge of nonprofit accounting, finance, and audits.
- Experience in Excel, QuickBooks, NetSuite, & Salesforce is essential.
- CPA preferred but not required.
Who you are:
- Detail-oriented. Your attention to detail is mind blowing. You stay organized, on top of your tasks, and nothing falls through the cracks. You demonstrate the ability to support multiple projects and departments at one time and overcome interruptions with ease and good humor.
- Strong communicator. You communicate your needs with clarity and kindness in a 100% work-remote environment.
- Self-starter. You are confident in developing and executing tasks and projects with limited guidance. Your time management is impeccable. You establish clear priorities, work plans, and meet deadlines.
- Cross-cultural aptitude. You highly respect and eagerly learn from other cultures.
- Aligned. You are motivated by and committed to Nuru International’s mission, theory of change, and Nuru values (fail fast/learn fast, equity, bold action, transparency, and servant leadership).
- Contributor. Like other Nuru staff, you take your work seriously but you don’t take yourself too seriously. You appreciate the quote “culture eats strategy for breakfast” and you cooperate easily with staff, vendors, and donors working as a positive team player.
- Globetrotter. You are excited to travel within the U.S. for team events or conferences and jump at the chance to visit Nuru projects in Africa.
What Nuru offers you:
- Our culture encourages healthy work/life satisfaction, a flexible 100% work-from-home schedule, prioritizes your resiliency, and is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment.
- You will be an essential member of the team supporting all finance functions directly.
- You will be supported by a strong management team who values your input, is eager to coach you, provide feedback, receive feedback, and help you grow in your career.
- You will work alongside a team of highly accomplished professionals across the globe who are all motivated by a shared purpose.
- We provide an equitable and competitive salary based on recent industry data, an excellent benefits package for full time employees which includes medical, dental, vision insurance and a flexible spending account; long-term and short-term disability; 401(k) with company match, generous time off, paid parental leave, laptop, and more. Salary and benefits will be discussed in the first interview.