IDS Deputy Unit Management AccountantPosted: 16 Sep 2022Closes: 16 Oct 2022 Cambridge Competitive Permanent & Full-time MCD_59211BR Job Description
- Support the WIN process by providing advice, directly, or through their wider function, to Account Leaders, Portfolio Managers, Bid Managers and Bid Principals in support of the preparation of budgets, complying with entity and inter-entity trading, treasury, tax, currency hedging strategy.
- Participate in WIN governance, particularly Yellow Reviews and, if requested, Gold Reviews. This shall include challenging/supporting pricing, entity setup, inflation, currency and ensuring sufficient and appropriate level of effort and CVs for finance inputs into programme budgets.
- Monitor spend across the Unit and Portfolio Business Development and proposals budgets and provide information and date to the Unit General Manager and Portfolio Managers to facilitate their management of the same
- Oversee the transition of projects from WIN to DO in relation to finance matters.
- Ensure suitably qualified and experienced finance staff are available to support projects.
- Support the Unit MA with review of Unit / Portfolio finances and challenge Portfolio Managers and Project Principals on notable deviation from the forecast. Where necessary support corrective actions, identify claims for additional fees and changes to staff requirements.
- A particular focus should be on early identification and management of profit deterioration, resourcing gaps, rising working capital and billing
- Support the Unit MA with preparation and analysis of Unit monthly Management Accounts pack, and finance papers/slides for Unit Board Meetings.
- Business analysis and performance evaluation, (currently including) driving a reduction in Controllable Overheads as a percentage of Net Revenue, and increasing recoveries, so that the current Overhead Loss reduces to an Overhead Balance.
- The management of working capital to ensure there is a proper understanding of capital employed, and driving good working capital cycle maintenance to ensure monthly targets are met
- Regular finance meetings with the Region on project reviews, key financial matters, and credit control
- Responsible and accountable for the preparation and review of the Unit annual budget and quarterly forecasts, and assisting with the preparation of the Unit business plan
- Assessing the financial aspects of contracts in order to identify risk, facilitate invoicing and payments and identify grounds for additional fees
- Training of Unit staff to enable them to understand and interpret project information
- Financial evaluation and due diligence of potential acquisition targets, strategic initiatives, and complex trading arrangements
- Provide overhead analysis data to relevant managers to assist in managing their costs, including those at Unit level
- Ensuring consistent application of group policies in the Unit.
- Continual identification and management of handover of tasks that could be provided by back-office functions in the India and Pakistan Financial Services Centre (FSC)
- Qualify for and then maintain membership to a professional institution and undertake continuous professional development to ensure their understanding of the latest legislation and guidance remains current.
- Suitable training or guidance should be prepared to address such issues in a timely manner.
- Support the Unit MA in the design and implementation of a development plan for the Finance Team to drive standards, consistency, career pathways and succession across the team
- Support in managing the Unit finance team with an active role in appointments, training and development
- Support the Unit MA in assessing project performance and proactively identify systemic issues where training or support for project managers and project principals may be required
- Part qualified accountant with relevant experience, willingness to complete professional qualifications, timely, if currently incomplete
- Organised individual who can manage deliverables schedules to tight deadlines
- Strong analytical ability with a good knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Power BI and MM ERP systems
- Strong communicator with excellent relationship building skills
- Practical & flexible approach with experience of managing a small team, and operating with, and developing an offshore back-office function
Reporting to the Unit Management Accountant, you will develop and deliver the operational finance support to assist Portfolio Managers and their projects in financial and accounting matters. Financial Accounting tasks are not the responsibility of this role, these are the responsibility of the Unit Financial Accountant.
You will assist in managing the Unit's finance team, providing leadership, coaching, mentoring, and training opportunities to develop their professional skills and support the Unit MA, and deputize during periods of absence, with the Finance matters for the Unit with and across the wider Group, ensuring the Unit operates in compliance with Group and Regional policies and procedures.
Acting as a change agent within the Unit, sponsoring and driving improvements to our processes and ways of working to deliver improved efficiency, effectiveness, and a better financial result. You will also be a key advisor to the Unit Senior Leadership Team (SLTOther InformationEquality, diversity and inclusion
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.Agile working
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust.More about Mott MacDonald
We're a global engineering, management and development consultancy.
Our purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes in everything we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital innovation, transforming our clients' businesses, our communities and employee opportunities.
A fundamental part of this is respecting each person's differences and striving to meet their needs.
Our values: progress, respect, integrity, drive, excellence If you would like help and advice about applying for this role please visit the Career Hive