We are (a passionate) hard working team of innovators and experts deeply committed to our mission. We adapt to changing demands and unabashedly embrace opportunities with excitement and optimism. We celebrate people’s unique gifts and accomplishments while investing in our team’s growth (and development) so that together we thrive.
Job Title Description: Controller
Reports To: Chief Financial Officer
The vision at Northern Illinois Food Bank is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and proud member of Feeding America. The organization follows sound financial principles to insure the longevity and sustainability of our organization. The Controller is part of the organization’s Senior Leadership Team and is responsible for overseeing the accounting function which includes, staff, data, process and technology. This role ensures GAAP compliant and effective financial statement preparation such as budget to actual, statement of activities, statement of position (balance sheets). The Controller also oversees the daily operations of the accounting departments including monthly close, processing of invoices, cash receipts, accounts payable and accounts receivable. Duties include implementing policies and procedures for internal controls and financial reporting with the CFO. This is a working hands on Controller for a $160 million non-profit organization.
- Supervise accounting staff
- Responsible for management of financial functions including Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll, and General Ledger Accounting.
- Conduct monthly close, including doing the bank recs, investment schedules, journal entries and other schedules and account reconciliations
- Prepare monthly financials with variance analysis
- Maintain Navision (Ceres) general ledger system
- Build and maintain financial reporting structures
- Build and maintain financial actual and budget data in PowerPlan
- Work with the Operation’s teams to ensure food, programs, and other activities financially flow and are accurately accounted.
- Manage inventory valuation processes and sub ledger reconciliations. Participate in the review of monthly and annual inventory counts. Work with inventory team to improve inventory processes.
- Ensure all accounting data is tracked appropriately to correct program, department or function
- Ensure best practice accounting is implemented with optimum use of technology and other resources
- Lead and prepare for the annual audit, prepare annual report information, including 990, Feeding America NAR
- Must be willing to complete bank recs and monthly journal entries
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Required Education, Skills, & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or relevant experience.
- 5+ years’ experience as Controller including supervision of staff, with similar size organization, inventory and / or non-profit accounting.
- Experience with reporting and audit requirements for federal funding is desired.
- Advanced Excel Skills and proficiency in Power Point, Word, and Microsoft Office.
- Excellent analytical skills and advanced skills in turning data into relevant and useful information based on understanding of the organization and its operations.
- Technologically savvy in accounting and related functional programs/applications.
- Strong organizational and detail-oriented skills
- Strong communication skills
Preferred Education, Skills, and Experience
Controller experience for a non-profit organization is highly desired.
This position supervises multiple employees.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photo copiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to move files, open filing cabinets and position self on a stool as necessary.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. Some flexibility in hours is allowed, but the employee must be available during the "core" work hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and must work 40 hours each week to maintain full-time status.
This position is based out of our West Suburban Center (Geneva) location.
Minimal travel is required.
Northern Illinois Food Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Covid-19 Vaccine Notice
At Northern Illinois Food Bank, we take the health and safety of our employees, neighbors and their loved ones very seriously. We have concluded that the best way to ensure the safety of these individuals is to require that all of our employees be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Please know that in order to become employed by NIFB (if otherwise eligible), you must provide satisfactory proof of vaccination. You will not be required to provide this proof unless and until you receive a formal job offer from NIFB. Please also know that NIFB will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals who cannot receive the COVID-19 vaccination because of a disability or a sincerely held religious belief, practice, observance, or pregnancy.