£37,300 - £40,248 per year and up to £5,000 Accountancy AllowanceThe Government Property Agency is changing the way the Civil Service works and is at the forefront of Government's transformation agenda; reshaping the relationship civil servants have with their place of work. The Agency is central to the delivery of key Government policies including moving 22,000 Civil Service roles out of London by 2030 and tackling climate change by contributing to the Net Zero agenda. To do this we are delivering a major change programme across the UK and consolidating our portfolio in order to save £1.4 Bn over 10 years.
Beyond the bricks and mortar, the GPA is about providing great workplaces for our people. Through programmes like Hubs, Whitehall Campus and Smart Working you will be in the vanguard of creating model working environments and promoting flexible working practices. The postholder can be based at any of the GPA locations with Finance presence outside London with offices in Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester, Newport, Norwich, Nottingham and Swindon.
The Senior Financial Accountant supports the production of the GPA Annual Report and Accounts which is independently audited and laid in Parliament to strict deadlines. The post holder will also support the production of consolidation returns for the Cabinet Office departmental accounts and Whole of Government Accounts.
The responsibilities of the Senior Financial Accountant will include:
- Support the production of the GPA Annual Report and Accounts including provision of consolidation returns for Cabinet Office departmental accounts and Whole of Government Accounts
- Maintain and analyse accurate accounting records including preparation and monitoring of Statement of Financial Position reconciliations and accrual and other journals
- Monitor the effectiveness of key controls including those operated by outsourced service providers
- Prepare tax returns to deadlines including monthly VAT return and Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) returns
- Support the delivery of internal and external audits including provision of fully supporting and signposted evidence, monitoring of requests and responding to auditors in a timely way
- Support continuous process efficiencies and improvements across the function
- Build relationships with key staff across Finance and the business in order to maintain effectiveness and relevance during change
- The post holder may be required to undertake additional responsibilities as expected in relation to the role and grade.
Key Skills & Experience
- Must hold a CCAB or equivalent qualification (or part-qualified, reasonably close to completion) (essential)
- Experience of working in property or estates (desirable)
- Experience of working in a working in a rapidly growing organisation (desirable)
- Good experience of financial accounting, ideally in a public sector context
- Good knowledge and experience of VAT
- Strong attention to detail and ability to analyse and interpret significant amounts of financial data
- Ability to seek out new information and self-develop
- Experience of using Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems
- Proficient using Microsoft Excel
- Ability to work in a geographically dispersed team
To apply for this opportunity, you will be required to produce a supporting statement alongside your CV. For more information, please apply using the link, or contact Michael Swinburn or Kerry Gashi at our retained search agent, Robertson Bell.
£37,300 - £40,248 per year up to £5,000 Accountancy Allowance£37,300 - £40,248 per year up to £5,000 Accountancy Allowance