This is an excellent opportunity to join our busy Finance team and develop your skills in one of the UK's leading conservation charities!
RSPB UKHQ - Sandy, Bedfordshire
Contract: Permanent Full-Time role for 37.5 hours per week
£42,768.00 - £52,124.00 Per Annum
Benefits: Pension, Life Assurance, 26 days Annual Leave
Reporting to the Financial & Treasury Controller, you will become the RSPB's internal tax expert, providing advice on all taxes that affect the RSPB and its entities. Seeking to optimise RSPB's tax position, working in partnership with managers throughout the RPSB, you will provide advice and develop tax compliant solutions, relating to a range of business initiatives and the contractual and legal arrangements that underpin them.
Equally as important as a strong working knowledge of charity taxation will be your ability to research issues and develop your knowledge base further. Excellent communication skills are essential in this role, to enable you to articulate your conclusions at all levels, to influence others, develop tax resources and support our taxation practice across the organisation. You will also support the various statutory tax return processes.
Key Result Areas:
* Contribute to the development of RSPB's programmes and projects by providing technical expertise and analysis of the external context; and leading projects to ensure standards/guidance as well as strategy/priorities are developed in line with business need and industry trends.
* Initiate & present research/analysis methodologies, data and findings at department/senior management level and make a leading contribution to standards, framework and policy establishment and development within taxation whilst remaining responsible for compliance, adhering to RSPB policies and processes in order to manage financial and reputational risk and contribute to suitable mitigations.
* Contribute to preparing papers and reports for RSPB's governance and oversee timely reporting of business metrics in order to enable oversight of work within programmes and projects.
* Responsible for the provision of expertise to internal and/or external audiences, monitoring external developments, identifying risks and opportunities to inform and add value to the RSPB's strategy and delivery.
* Lead development of skills and capabilities within charity taxation to achieve high performance, celebrating successes and promoting the RSPB's values and positive culture at all times.
* Develop/improve the capability of staff within charity taxation, motivating and mentoring staff to better meet the current and future requirements of this area.
Essential skills, knowledge, and experience:
* You will be a qualified accountant or tax professional.
* Highly developed knowledge of the principles, theory and practice of charity VAT, gift aid and corporation tax as well as an awareness of broader developments in the area.
* Full understanding of the impact of relevant legislative/industry policies/best practices and procedures relative to the role, and the quality outputs and standards required.
* Identify strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats in the area of charity taxation that may have an impact on the organisation to enable appropriate and timely action to be taken.
* Apply broad and/or deep knowledge and experience to provide advice/guidance to others or to address significant problems, some of which will be multi-disciplinary in nature.
* Evaluate existing service provision, keeping abreast of feedback and broader developments to ensure appropriate developments and solutions to enhance and maximise service quality, efficiency, and continuity.
* Ensure compliance with current and future work area objectives, service level agreements, regulations, and best practices.
* Network with fellow professionals in the wider community to represent and promote charity taxation on internal and external platforms.
* Develop/improve the capability of staff within specialism/discipline, motivating and mentoring staff to meet current and future requirements.
* Highly effective communication and interpersonal skills.
* Experience of managing and developing a significant project/s related to taxation.
* Experience of working with and influencing senior management.
The role will be hybrid working where you may be required to attend our HQ finance office, therefore we would envisage you living within one and half hour travelling distance to the RSPB Lodge in Sandy, Bedfordshire.
This role may require some travel within the UK.
This role may require some overnight stays away from home.
The RSPB works for a healthy environment for all and we therefore expect you to take action in accordance with our Environmental Policy and objectives. Together we can make a positive difference for our world.
In the RSPB, volunteers are a major resource and make a vital contribution to the RSPB's aim to take action for the conservation of wild birds and the environment. Employees are responsible for encouraging, developing and supporting volunteers in their work for the RSPB.
Closing date: 23:59, Sun, 18th Sep 2022
Please note that we will be actively recruiting for this role and reserve the right to close this vacancy should sufficient applications be received.
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position from w/c 26th September 2022
To Apply and for More Information:
If you would like to apply and find out more about this position, please click the apply button to be directed to our website.
As part of this application, you will be asked to provide a copy of your CV and complete an application form where you will have the opportunity to tell us how you meet the criteria set above. If you wish to provide a cover letter with your application, please include this at the end of your CV document upload.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
No agencies please