Golden State Water Company is one of the largest investor-owned water utilities in the United States. We have been all about water for more than 80 years. Our team of professionals delivers reliable, quality water and great service to customers in 75 communities across California.
The incumbent in this position brings extensive financial and operational audit experience and is required to both supervise and perform financial audits, operational audits, information technology audits, management reviews, management advisory services, investigations and special projects. Utilizing a collaborative approach, the individual in this position brings experience in testing, measuring and evaluating of internal controls; auditing of policies, procedures, practices; maintaining risk and control documentation; identifying opportunities for process improvement; drafting reports with recommendations; assuring corrective action to recommendations have been implemented; and working on ad hoc projects on request.
Internal Audit Manager has responsibility for supervising a team of auditors and consultants while overseeing routine SOX compliance and internal audit activities, along with continuous improvement of internal controls and business processes. Key customers and partners include internal corporate departments such as finance, information technology and human capital management, various operations locations, as well as external auditors.
The incumbent works in an environment of routinely sensitive and confidential issues; therefore, the person in this position must have the ability to achieve objectives with respect to fair and equitable treatment, including accountability for confidentiality of information. As a responsible professional, the incumbent must work independently while exercising initiative and judgment in the performance of the core job responsibilities of this position.
The Manager is accountable for: ensuring adequate risk management strategies are in place and operating efficiently and effectively; identifying opportunities to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of business processes; managing stakeholder relationships; developing internal audit programs; conducting and supervising internal audits; projects to support the Audit Committee; and participating in the conduct of special projects and investigations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops and maintains the Company audit function and assesses risk continuously
- Prepares the annual audit plan, which supports the Company’s Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) program where appropriate, and submits it to the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors for review and approval
- Manages, plans and performs a wide variety of internal audits, including financial audits, operational audits, information technology audits, environmental audits, management reviews and management advisory services
- Evaluates audit findings, prepares and presents the results of audit work and recommendations to management and to the Audit Committee
- Promotes open dialogue with external auditors. Communicates and coordinates efforts with external auditors during year-end and interim audits. Provides advice, support, and information as needed
- Communicates with all levels of management regarding company risk and audit needs.
- Supervises and oversees audit staff and audit consultants
- Oversees annual Sarbanes-Oxley compliance program
- Works under the direction of the Audit Committee and administratively under the direction of the Senior Vice President & Chief Financial Officer
- Together with HCM and appropriate management, performs investigations based on reports received through the third party Ethics Hotline or through other means. Reports results to the Audit Committee
- Assures that all members of Internal Audit department receive the training necessary to stay up-to date on risk environment, regulatory changes, etc.
- Supports Continuing Professional Education (CPE) for department members to both maintain and achieve professional certifications
- Operates within annual O&M budget
- Assures goals relating to budgeted external auditor direct assistance hours are met
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Accounting, Finance, Economics or related discipline
- Master’s Degree preferred
- Certification in any one or more of the following: CPA, CIA, CFE, CISA, CMA
- Ten years of internal/external audit experience, including at least three years as manager of the internal audit function of a mid-size to large company, preferably publicly-traded
- At least three years’ experience interfacing with the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors
- At least five years of supervisory experience
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- At least five years of Sarbanes-Oxley experience
- Advanced knowledge of GAAP, SEC, PCAOB and CPUC regulations and requirements