This will be an initial 6 month FTC with the requirement to visit the office 2x per week.
My client is a large complex Public Sector organisation based in Cardiff
Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Head of Year-End Financial Accounts is key in providing technical and policy advice to the Organisation.
Year End Financial Accounting
Responsible for the organisations financial year end, including:
- preparation of the statutory Annual Report & Financial Statements to the agreed timetable, including compilation of and liaison with departments responsible for the elements of the Annual Report, and ensuring compliance with relevant accounting standards and regulatory requirements
- all external audit briefing papers and Committee papers required as part of the year end, including briefing to and sign-off from Director of Financial and Chief Financial Officer;
- the successful completion of the annual external audit, including acting as first point of contact with external auditors. This includes leading the on-boarding of new external auditors for the year ending 31 July 2022.
- oversight of all year end accounting transactions and balance sheet reconciliations, which must be undertaken in a timely manner and in accordance with relevant accounting standards.
- ensuring the Financial Statements of organisations Subsidiaries are prepared on a timely basis
- the consolidation of subsidiaries and joint ventures into the organisations financial statements
- ensuring all changes in accounting standards are reflected in the financial statements
- Ensure standard operating procedures for financial accounting and regulatory reporting activities are documented and maintained, ensuring compliance with relevant regulations, and maintaining a cycle of review
- Responsible for the preparation of other annual regulatory reports, including the Charity Commission return, where possible
- Responsible for the communication of the application of accounting standards and providing guidance and training to Finance colleagues as and when required.
- Contribute to the preparation of the other regulatory Returns, providing Financial Statements data and insight into transactions wherever relevant
- Line management of Direct Reports, and delivery of key objectives via a wider team. Be a key member of the wider Financial Reporting team of 13 staff that are responsible for management and financial accounts, bringing external knowledge and experience to the team
- Providing clear communication and in-depth support by quickly building and maintaining excellent relationships across the organisation
- Continually strive to improve the quality and timeliness of financial information to all stakeholders.
- Play a key role in the continued development of finance processes and policies.
- Ensure that an understanding of the importance of confidentiality is applied when undertaking all duties.
- Abide by organisational policies on Health and Safety and Equality and Diversity.
- Perform other duties occasionally which are not included above, but which will be consistent with the role.
Qualifications and EducationQualified Accountant (ACA, ACCA or similar) with substantial experience in a financial accounting senior role in a large and complex organisation.
Knowledge, Skills and ExperienceAble to demonstrate expert technical financial accounting knowledge, to be recognised as a leading authority in the field and able to confidently debate accounting treatment against the standardsAble to demonstrate a proven track record of leading the preparation of the Annual Report & Financial Statements and successful audit of a large and complex organisation reporting directly to the Director of Finance or CFOAble to work with large and complex datasets outside corporate system and have a proven track record of producing high level insightful analysis from a mass of detailed data potentially via Excel or other reporting toolsAble to demonstrate a high degree of attention to detail relating to reporting, analysis and the production and outputs of the year end accounts ensuring there are no transcript or other such anomalies at draft stagesAble to demonstrate expert professional knowledge of financial systems and knowledge of working with Oracle or a similar ERP system
Customer Service, Communication and Team WorkingAble to present and influence senior decisions within Finance, the wider community and potentially with the auditors that have a strategic impact on the Year End Accounts or in year treatment of activitiesEvidence of ability to explore customers' needs, adapt the service, and set customer expectations, to ensure that technical financial accounting advice is provided in an understandable way.Proven ability to develop strong and productive networks in order to deliver time critical outputs in a people focused mannerProven ability to build and manage the relationship with the external audit team
Salary £51799 - £60022 + benefits ( the role is appointable at the bottom of the scale)
Hybrid working- its expected that you will visit the office 2x per week (potentially more in the early part of the contract)
6 month initial Fixed Term Contract