Requisition Number: 5369
Pay Rate: PGR22 Description: Basic Function
Directs financial management of METRO's operations, providing METRO with the financial services necessary to optimize the quality of business and operational decisions. Implements the strategic priorities and operating principles as developed by METRO's Board of Directors and the President /CEO by preparing a current business plan and long-term cash flow plan that will work within METRO's financial, operational, and political constraints. Supervises directors of Office of Management & Budget, Grants, Treasury and Revenue, and Accounting. Responsible for all financial activities of METRO including financial projections, investment and debt management, cash management, budget performance, grants management, financial reporting, and pension administration. Performs duties in a safe, efficient manner and in compliance with all applicable rules and safety procedures.
Responsibilities and Specific Duties
- Provides primary managerial direction and performs personnel administrative functions of direct report staff (e.g., training, supervising, work assignments, timesheets, performance evaluations, etc.) for maintaining necessary staffing, enhancing productivity of staff and ensuring necessary department outcomes are achieved.
- Develops policies, procedures, and systems for adequate financial control of METRO's business and implements "best practices" methods that contribute to increased efficiency and effectiveness.
- Develops guidelines for financial planning, budgeting, short and long-term financing and investment strategies.
- Conducts continuing assessment of METRO's performance as compared to established budgets. Issues regular financial and operating reports.
- Interprets operating results, as they affect the financial aspects of METRO, and makes recommendations to the President/CEO.
- Represents METRO before all legislative, regulatory, and financial bodies on the financial aspects of METRO, as required.
- Has signature authority for contracts for goods and services on behalf of METRO.
- Has signature authority for METRO's bank accounts and electronic funds transfers.
- Directs Office of Management & Budget in the formulation and continuing assessment of METRO's operating and capital budgets, capital improvement plan and long-range cash plan.
- Directs the Grants function for optimal management of funding from federal and other sources, including all grants administrative and reporting functions.
- Directs the Treasury and Revenue functions in managing METRO's investments, banking, debt, and fare collection activity. Serves as an Investment Officer for the Authority.
- Directs the Accounting and Financial Reporting function in implementing procedures and systems necessary to produce proper records, reports, and controls.
- Provides excellent customer service to METRO internal and external customers.
- Promotes safety awareness and follows safety procedures to reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Public or Business Administration or related degree is required. Master’s Degree preferred.
Years & Experience Required
Minimum of 10 years’ experience in high level managerial positions with 5 years in a corporate or senior level management capacity; experience in transportation industry/public sector preferred. Experience in complex budgetary and audit processes, including financial reporting; experience related to effective organization and personnel management, and related administrative processes.
Knowledge & Skills Required
In-depth knowledge of finance with special emphasis on planning, long-term revenue forecasting, grants, accounting controls, and budgeting. Ability to lead a diverse group of professionals with a variety of educational and functional backgrounds. Certified Public Accountant designation preferred. Strong communications skills (verbal and written); planning and evaluation required.
The Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, Texas has a zero tolerance drug and alcohol policy for all employees. All internal and external applicants will be required to undergo drug testing before employment and will be subject to further drug and/or alcohol testing throughout their employment.
Further, employees who perform safety-sensitive functions will submit to drug and/or alcohol testing in accordance to the Department of Transportation (DOT) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) regulatory requirements.
We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, veteran status, genetic information or disability.