Overview of the Advisory & Consulting service line
The Advisory & Consulting Service Line is a rapidly growing, award winning, global group of successful teams working together to present a go-to-market differentiator whilst delivering the highest quality of work for our clients.
If you are successful in securing a role on our training programme you will join a team of 600+ innovative specialists across a variety of sectors including Financial Services, Industry & Services, and Public Services with consultative expertise in Risk & Management Consulting, Internal Audit, Actuarial and all aspects of the Tech & Digital space. Our Advisory teams are at the forefront of large international infrastructure projects, global M&A transactions, high-profile forensic investigations, business valuations, corporate restructuring and creditor advisory services; all with the aim of adding value to clients by finding solutions to a range of financial issues as one collaborative team. An introduction to our Risk Consulting team:
The role of the Risk Consulting team is to conduct an independent review of the client's operations, providing recommendations that are proportionate and in line with industry best practice.
The team operates in a variety of sectors, these are set out below, but the purpose of this role is to support our growing Public and Social sector team.
- Public and Social Sector: Our team provide distinctive audit and advisory services across six sectors - local government, central government, education, housing, police and charities.
As an internal auditor, you will be reviewing and advising organisations on the risks they are most worried about. We typically work with clients to identify which risks concern them most, and then put together a plan to see how each of these risks is being managed. You will be responsible for a project to look at one of these risk areas. Within this, you will identify mitigating controls, suggest additional controls or changes to existing controls, then test their how effective the controls are in mitigating the risks. The key output from your work will be to identify potential opportunities for improvement.
We are moving to a new hybrid working model, so as a trainee you will split your time between working from home, visiting the office, client sites when required or studying for your professional exams. During your first two years you will:
During your third year you will:
- Learn how to undertake fieldwork using a range of tools and methods to review and provide recommendations on the client's business operations.
- Perform internal audit fieldwork at client sites, testing and reviewing exposure to risk and the effectiveness of the controls in place to mitigate risks.
- Start to develop a thorough understanding of the nature of the clients' business, industry best practice, and applicable regulations.
- Be able to obtain relevant information from clients whilst building effective rapport with clients' staff; and
- Start to take ownership for a more complex client reviews towards the end of the two years'
- Start to be involved in the planning stages of work.
- Begin providing your own solutions and ideas to advisory client scenarios.
- Perform more challenging technical audits, executing standalone audits under the guidance of a Manager.
- Self-review your own-work, ensuring minimal review points are raised by managers; and
- Be able to aid junior team members.
In your final year you will be expected to be responsible for planning internal audit work programmes and delivery of fieldwork, including participating in meetings with Board members. Talented individuals will start to develop client portfolio management skills that will put them on a pathway to the Assistant Manager grade. In addition, it is expected that a third-year trainee will provide on the job advice, training and supervision of junior staff. This will include acting as a point of contact for both management and clients, ensuring that the work is completed within the stated deadlines.
Individuals typically specialise in a particular sector, and the aim of this role is for you to develop Public and Social Sector expertise. There are also opportunities to develop a specific technical expertise, such as Project Assurance, Commercial Assurance (Procurement and Contract Management), Sustainability and Risk Management. The person
- Interpersonal skills; the ability to build client relationships with a foundation of trust and responsibility.
- Communication skills: the ability to articulate your ideas and suggestions clearly and effectively in both verbal and written forms.
- Analytical skills; the ability to think critically, research and solve problems.
- Attention to detail and strong time-management skills.
- Commitment to self-development & learning.
- Affinity with our values; in particular, respect for individuals, diversity and integrity
Strong academic performance is important, so we know that you're ready to take your professional exams. However, we understand things don't always go to plan - so if you don't meet our minimum requirements, please let us know if you have any exceptional achievements or extenuating circumstances which affected your results. We also consider your achievements in the context of your socio-economic background, so encourage you to submit your contextual information.
- On track to achieve or have obtained a minimum of 112 UCAS points. This is based on the new 2017 UCAS Tariff. You can calculate your UCAS points here.
- Grade B or above in GCSE English Language and Maths.
We will fund your study towards the AAT qualification.
You will receive a full study package to ensure that you successfully complete your professional qualification. This includes time off to study, attend college and complete online courses. Your professional qualification is only part of the story at Mazars; we support all of our trainees with a blended approach to training and development including classroom study, 1:1 coaching, and soft skills training.
You will be supported by a mentor and an appraising manager to keep your career and aspirations on tr