We're proud to have been a Principal Partner for COP26 , the UN Climate Change Conference, and are leading the way to provide the energy needed now, while building a better world of energy for tomorrow.
To reach net zero by 2050, we're looking for people who can bring big ideas, new skills and innovative thinking to help us build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come.
So join us on our journey to net zero. Help us power change.
About the Role
Perth / Glasgow (preferred)
Competitive Salary + car / allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible working options available
SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Our success hinges on the delivery of some pretty impressive projects across our low-carbon portfolio which includes onshore and offshore wind, hydrogen, CCS, our EV infrastructure and the development of a clean energy distribution and transmission network - to name a few!
Following our commitment to invest £12.5 billion in low carbon projects over the next 5 years, our large capital projects continue to become bigger, more complex and increasingly reliant on an appropriate level of scrutiny and due diligence to ensure they are delivered effectively, safely and to an exceptionally high standard.
You will be responsible for managing the delivery of Project Assurance Reviews (PARs) to independently challenge and support SSE's large capital programme comprising projects ranging from £10M to c.£9B within the Renewables, Low Carbon Thermal and Regulated Energy Networks industries. You will also ensure the required line of sight is provided to the LCP Committee and Business Unit Executive Committees who will rely on your ability to accurately report the status and delivery of LCPs to agreed constraints, without jeopardising project value, ensuring governance requirements are met and that key risks are documented, assessed and mitigated.
In this role the main responsibilities will include:-
- Managing a high performing team to deliver c.60x assurance reviews per year, ensuring they accurately assess and report their status with respect to SSE Group requirements, achieving the projected Business Case and readiness to seek investment approvals.
- Maintaining effective relationships with SSE's senior management and JV partners by receptively listening to their requirements and concerns to schedule assurance reviews, agree the terms of reference to align with their requirements and providing succinct and accurate feedback to secure their confidence in the associated outcomes.
- Attending Project Review Board meetings, as required, to provide ongoing independent challenge and support regarding the development and delivery of strategically important projects within SSE's capital programme.
- Attending the Large Capital Projects Committee, as required, to challenge and support delivery of SSE's capital programme through ensuring the development and execution of projects is to the highest quality, verifying the accuracy of reporting and ensuring projects align with the Group's Large Capital Projects Governance Framework, Strategy and Values.
- Accountable for SSE's Large Capital Governance Framework assurance and Gate processes ensuring they remain fit for purpose including development of enhanced governance for projects that are of significant scale and complexity (new technology, international, Joint Ventures, debt finance) and participating in external competitive processes (Seabed leasing, CfD, RESS).
What do we need from you?
The ideal candidate will be able to evidence a career with increasing responsibility, leading a professional services or technical organisation, supporting a complex £multi-million capital investment programme within a similar organisation or industry sector.
To be considered for this role, we would also love you to have:
- Comprehensive knowledge of project delivery across the lifecycle from conceptual studies to construction and handover, risk, quality and project controls management.
- Effective leadership and management skills to provide a high level of service to support functional Business Units and Project Teams.
- The ability to simplify and summarise complex issues regarding the delivery of capital projects and accurately report their status to senior management, together with making recommendations for corrective action or management intervention.
- A detailed understanding of corporate, project management and assurance processes associated with the application of a Large Capital Project Governance Framework.
- Degree qualified in an engineering, project management, commercial, financial, construction or other discipline relevant to large capital projects and competence commensurate with (but not necessarily holding) corporate membership of a relevant professional body.
Life at SSE
If you're considering a career with us, you're probably wondering what's in it for you? From health and wellness to finances and family, we're proud of our benefits package which includes 34 days holiday (plus the option to buy additional days), enhanced maternity and paternity leave, discounted healthcare and a wide range of offers via our SSE Advantage scheme.
At SSE we're proud to celebrate difference. We all have different skills, experience and backgrounds and we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture where you can be yourself. We take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra 'if it's not safe, we don't do it'.
SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application and assessment process, and upon joining SSE.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Jenna.Jackson@sse.com / 01738 341390.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.