Finance Control Director
People make Sage great. From our colleagues delivering ground-breaking solutions to the customers who use them: people have helped us grow for more than thirty years, and people are driving our future as a great SaaS company. We're writing our next chapter. Be part of it!
At Sage, we recognize that the world of work has rapidly shifted over the last few years, particularly how we work. That is why we have committed to working in a hybrid way going forward. Human connection is an essential ingredient of the 4 principles that make up our Flexible Human Work hybrid framework and we want to be transparent in what that looks like when you join our Sage family. On one hand, our offices will continue to play an important role in our future and serve as a place for spontaneous conversations, connection, collaboration as well as focused time. On the other hand, we have learned to reimagine where and when we work and to unlock that flexibility and innovation for our colleagues offering them the opportunity to work flex across their home, Sage offices or customer sites.
We invite you to join us and help us write our next chapter. Follow us on our social media sites to join in conversations about open positions and company news! #lifeatsage #sagecareers. If you would like support with your application (or require any adjustments) please contact us at email@example.com for assistance. All qualified applicants will be thoughtfully considered and never discriminated against based on their race, color, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
An opportunity has arisen for the right individual to join Sage's Financial Accounting, Reporting and Control function in a newly created senior Finance control role. The role is strategic in nature and will support senior stakeholders in designing, embedding and monitoring a practical, sustainable, and compliant risk and internal control framework.
This role will involve working with Finance and non-Finance stakeholders across the business to design and embed controls, as well as driving continuous improvement in business processes and controls e.g. through automation, simplification, and standardisation.
• Develop Sage internal control strategy by interpreting new UK legislation and continuous consultation with 3rd parties on best practice e.g. Big 4, FTSE peers.
• Design and govern Sage internal control manual, including methodology for self-assessment and internal testing.
• Manage risk assessment and scoping activities to identify 'in scope' financial accounts, disclosures, processes, business units and IT systems.
• Design and execute the annual fraud risk assessment performed in conjunction with the Risk team.
• Design and govern Sage risk and control matrix (RACM).
• Plan and manage risk assessment, design, and implementation activities across key 'in scope' processes and business units e.g. process walkthroughs, risk identification, identification of control gaps or improvement opportunities, design of updated controls and RACM documentation.
• Identify and action opportunities for process and control improvement including automation, use of RPA.
• Design and govern standards / requirements for process and control documentation (flowcharts etc) and control evidence and embed with control owners and operators.
• Drive and monitor the implementation and embedding of controls across Finance and other functions, including assigning control owners and control operators and defining control requirements and best practice.
• Design and manage the roll-out of internal control training for all Finance, IT and other cross functional colleagues.
• Lead the deployment of governance, risk, and compliance (GRC) tool to support internal control documentation and monitoring.
• Monitor control gaps or issues and manage to resolution including proposing creative and pragmatic solutions.
• Manage the relationship with external auditors for an effective audit approach and alignment (in risk assessment, scoping, testing of and reliance on controls).
• Manage the relationship with the internal risk (2nd line of defence) and internal audit (3rd line of defence) teams re. integrated approach to assurance over internal financial control.
• Support the VP Finance and Control on Audit committee and other key reporting to governance forums or senior management stakeholders.
• Own and deliver special projects e.g. integration of internal controls into Finance or IT change projects.
Skills, know-how and experience:
• Qualified accountant (4-6 years PQE) or audit specialist with significant management experience.
• Strong financial control knowledge, including understanding of internal control frameworks (e.g. COSO), SOX compliance requirements and best practice.
• Experience of designing and implementing controls, as well as managing ongoing compliance with SOX.
• Financial control experience from large multinationals, including finance shared service centres and IT controls e.g. an internal financial control role at a large multinational, process and controls consulting experience from a Big 4 firm, SOX external audit experience from a Big 4 firm.
• An individual with gravitas - the ability to influence, challenge effectively and business partner to initiate change.
• Strong impact, verbal communication, and networking skills.
• Proactive self-starter with ability to think independently, manage own workload, to time and desired levels of quality.
• Collaborative working style, including with Finance and cross functional colleagues.
• High capability for managing multiple senior stakeholders (both internal and external).
• Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to apply a common sense, pragmatic, and practical approach.
• The ability to coach, mentor and inspire a team.
• Willingness to travel internationally as required (up to 20% of time).
• Strong accounting skills and technical knowledge of IFRS.
• Experience working in a large multinational in an internal financial control role - either in 1st line finance or 2nd line SOX / internal controls team.
• Experience of internal financial control transformation projects (professional services or industry role).
• Robust understanding of IT general controls and their impact on financial reporting.
• Experience in leveraging technology (e.g. RPA, CCMs (continuous controls monitoring) to improve overall control environment.
• Experience of implementing or enhancing use of a GRC tool.
• Knowledge of and experience in the technology / software industry.
Technical / professional qualifications:
• Membership of a professional body (e.g. ACA, CIMA, ACCA, IIA) or equivalent.