Make an impact at a global and dynamic investment organization
When you invest your career in CPP Investments, you join one of the most respected and fastest growing institutional investors in the world. With current assets under management valued in excess of $500 billion, CPP Investments is a professional investment management organization that globally invests the funds of the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) to help ensure long-term sustainability. The CPP Fund is projected to reach $3 trillion by 2050. CPP Investments invests in all major asset classes, including public equity, private equity, real estate, infrastructure and fixed-income instruments, and is headquartered in Toronto with offices in Hong Kong, London, Luxembourg, Mumbai, New York City, San Francisco, São Paulo and Sydney.
CPP Investments attracts and selects high-calibre individuals from top-tier institutions around the globe. Join our team and look forward to:
- Diverse and inspiring colleagues and approachable leaders
- Stimulating work in a fast-paced, intellectually challenging environment
- Accelerated exposure and responsibility
- Global career development opportunities
- Being motivated every day by CPP Investments' important social purpose and unshakable principles
- A deeply rooted culture of Integrity, Partnership and High Performance
If you share a passion for performance, value a collegial and collaborative culture, and approach everything with the highest integrity, here's an opportunity for you to invest your career at CPP Investments.
CPP Investments' Direct Private Equity (DPE) team is currently recruiting for an experienced Principal to join their growing team out of its London Office. The DPE group manages a C$39 billion portfolio of direct private equity investments, investing out of offices in Toronto and London. DPE consists of 65 investment professionals and operates with a broad mandate ranging from late stage venture capital, significant minority to founders and families to large scale, co-control investments alongside other private equity funds.
Based in London, you will be part of a dynamic, flexible, and fast-growing private equity practice that has grown its portfolio from ~C$1.1 billion in 2012 to ~C$19 billion in 2021 and its investment professional base from three to twenty-five over the same time period. Recent relevant transactions for CPP Investments in Europe include: the 2020 acquisition of Galileo Global Education, the French leader in private higher education and second-largest in the world; the 2019 take-private of Axel Springer, a leading online classifieds and content group, alongside KKR, management and the Springer family; the 2019 take-private of Inmarsat (c.$6bn value), a leading provider of mobile satellite services; the 2018 acquisition of Sportradar (2bn+ value), a fast growing, founder led sports data and analytics company; and the 2018 acquisition of a 30% stake in BGL Group for 675 million, the leading digital distributor of insurance and household financial services and owner of comparethemarket.com.
The Principal will play a leadership role, alongside and reporting to a Managing Director, in making and managing principal investments across Europe including evaluating potential principal investment opportunities, conducting research, developing investment recommendations, negotiating terms and executing transactions. The Principal will also have secondary, and in some cases, primary responsibility for managing relationships with portfolio companies and monitoring investments.
A) Analyze Investment Opportunities:
- Source investment opportunities and play a senior role in the research, analysis and evaluation of a variety of principal investment opportunities including managing the overall evaluation process
- Oversee the development of complex dynamic financial models to analyze investment opportunities (including testing assumptions and sensitivities)
- Oversee valuation analysis, including DCF, precedent transactions and comparable company analysis
- Play a senior or lead role in due diligence on opportunities including past and projected financial performance, quality of management teams, investment merits and risks, expected returns, regulatory environment, industry dynamics and other relevant factors
- Review 3rd party due diligence reports (legal, accounting, industry strategic reviews, environmental, etc.)
- Meet with company management and review past performance, strategy, outlook, industry issues, and other relevant topics as required
- Make investment recommendations based on the results of the team's due diligence and analysis
- Oversee the drafting of investment memos and recommendations
- Participate in or lead the presentation of opportunities to Investment Committees
B) Execute Principal Investments:
- Primary or secondary responsibility (as assigned) for managing relationships with investment partners (lead General Partner, other co-investors) and financial advisors (financial, legal, etc.)
- Play a senior or lead role in the negotiation and execution of agreements and other transaction-related legal documentation
C) Monitor Principal Investments:
- Monitor ongoing financial performance of portfolio companies
- Play a senior or lead role in building and leveraging relationships with portfolio company management teams and private equity sponsors
- Oversee the monitoring and evaluation of potential exit alternatives (including public market conditions, potential strategic partners)
- Attend board meetings as required
- Review and approve capital calls and distributions related to Principal investments
- Oversee the reviews of valuations for portfolio companies
- Coordinate with CPP Investments Finance & Operations group with respect to monitoring ongoing investments
D) Build the Team:
- Represent CPP Investments externally and be an active communicator of the organization's strategies and objectives
- Review, analyze and comment on investment recommendations prepared by other deal teams
- Participate in and contribute to weekly meetings
- Assist in the training and development of colleagues
- A significant portfolio of work experience which may include investment banking or management consulting, and must include substantive private markets investing experience
- Ideal candidates will bring experience of upper middle and/or large cap markets although not an essential requirement
- Prior buy-side experience mandatory
- Strong research, financial modeling, analytical and valuation skills
- Experience in conducting due diligence
- Experience in the negotiation process
- Experience sourcing investment opportunities
- Professionalism and integrity
- Strong interpersonal skills and business relationship skills
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Flexibility, adaptability and initiative
- Demonstrated interest in investing
- Good judgment and "sense of the deal"
- Ability to meet deadlines and work well under pressure
- Team player who enjoys a high performance culture
- Willingness to travel
Visit our LinkedIn Career Page or Follow us on LinkedIn. #LI-LW1
At CPP Investments, we are committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on ability.
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact candidates selected to advance in the hiring process.
Our Commitment to Inclusion and Diversity:
In addition to being dedicated to building a workforce that reflects diverse talent, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible experience. If you require an accommodation for any part of the recruitment process (including alternate formats of materials, accessible meeting rooms, etc.), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
CPP Investments does not accept resumes from employment placement agencies, head-hunters or recruitment suppliers that are not in a formal contractual arrangement with us. Our recruitment supplier arrangements are restricted to specific hiring needs and do not include this or other web-site job postings. Any resume or other information received from a supplier not approved by CPP Investments to provide resumes to this posting or web-site will be considered unsolicited and will not be considered. CPP Investments will not pay any referral, placement or other fee for the supply of such unsolicited resumes or information.
Mandatory Vaccine Policy
Effective November 1, 2021, all employees in the Toronto, New York and San Francisco offices will be required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Accommodations to this policy will be made for medical or other protected grounds. Please contact us to discuss any accommodation needs.
- Type: Full-time
- Function: Finance