Client Accounting Manager
Countrywide is part of the Connells group, the UK's largest estate agency and property services business incorporating many well-known high street brands: Hamptons, Abbotts, Bairstow Eves, Taylors Estate Agents, are but a few.
Within our conveyancing business, we receive and hold money on behalf of clients in connection with the provision of legal services. Client funds are held in segregated bank accounts and in accordance with a regulatory body. You will be responsible for managing the conveyancing client accounting team, including the day-to-day operations around the handling of client monies and the control environment.
The role will be an office based role in Manchester.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Develop and maintain a thorough understanding of the regulatory rules and obligations relating to client accounting and the handling of client monies in accordance with the Council for Licensed Conveyancers (CLC)
- Review, maintain and improve client accounting policies and procedures, implementing best practice and ensuring that all procedures are documented, trained and adhered to
- Identify risks and improve the control framework, embedding minimum control standards through regular review and ongoing communication
- Ensure compliance with both internal reporting and control requirements and external regulatory requirements
- Ensure that all reconciliations are performed and reviewed promptly, and reconciling items are investigated and resolved in a timely manner
- Review, develop and deliver regular, accurate and timely client accounting reports and data to inform the senior management team
- Engage closely with colleagues across the conveyancing business, finance and the offshore team
- Build and manage the relationship with the bank over the stewardship of funds
- Manage the bank mandates and associated banking procedures and controls
- Work with the Finance Director and Group Finance to determine the treasury strategy for funds
- Investigate queries or complaints, escalating and providing feedback as necessary
- Build and maintain a good working relationship with the CLC and be the contact for queries
- Manage the engagement with external audit firms for annual audits as required by the regulator
- Work in partnership with other client accounting teams across the Connells group to share best practice, skills and insight
- Lead a high quality, motivated and engaged client accounting team
- Review the structure of the client accounting team and reporting lines
- Work with the Client Accounting Team Leader to manage and develop the team
- Build a positive workplace culture and improve performance
We are ideally looking for someone who is qualified or qualified by experience with at least 3-5 years experience of working in a similar environment.
It is essential:
- You have had experience of leading and working within a client accounting team, or as an auditor (internal or external)
- You have a good understanding of risk and control environments
- You have developed and maintained robust procedures, strengthened controls and mitigated risk
- You have strong written and verbal skills to communicate succinctly
About Connells Group
Connells Group is one of the largest and most successful estate agency and property services providers in the UK. Founded in 1936 and with a network of over 1200 branches nationwide, the Group combines residential sales and lettings expertise with a range of consumer and corporate services including new homes, mortgage services, conveyancing, EPC provision, surveying, corporate lettings, asset management, land & planning, LPA receivers and auctions.
Connells Group UK is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, transgender status, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.