As the UK's leading developer and manager of retirement communities, we have more than 40 years experience of providing high-quality homes to exacting specifications. We've created over 58,000 age-exclusive retirement properties - apartments, bungalows, coach houses, and cottages - in more than 1,300 developments across the UK.
At McCarthy Stone, we believe that retirement living involves much more than simply deciding to move into a new home that's better suited to our customers' needs. It's also an opportunity for them to embrace a new way of life, to have the freedom to live a lifestyle with more choices and more time to do the things they enjoy.
About the role
- To provide a professional payroll service, supporting the Senior Payroll Specialist & Fleet Manager in delivering key business performance targets and meeting deadlines to ensure employees are paid accurately and on time.
- The post holder is a key member of the payroll department for McCarthy Stone and will primarily be supporting the payroll administration for employees within the McCarthy Stone 'Group' side of the business.
- Receive and collate all payroll information relating to new employees, salary and department changes, personal detail changes, allowances and deductions, ad hoc changes (to include AEOs, pension, taxable expenses, jury service, cash for car related payments) and leavers
- Ensure sickness certificates and entitlement to Company Sick Pay is checked and absence is unpaid where employees do not qualify for Company Sick Pay. Check eligibility for Statutory Sick Pay (SSP), make SSP payments where due and reduce basic salary according to company policy. Send form SSP1 to those not eligible
- Manage the calculations of SMP, SPP, SAP and SHPP
- Calculate any manual payments and make BACS payments as required. Ensure appropriate action is taken to secure a refund of any overpayment, including where necessary instructing solicitors in liaison with Legal Department
- Complete all pay period reporting
- Ensure compliance with all company, HMRC policy and relevant legislative changes, e.g. GDPR
- Deal with payroll related enquiries from HMRC and similar Government Agencies or other third parties, drafting appropriate correspondence as necessary
- Ensure all changes are authorised in accordance with the Payroll Authorisation Policy and Salary and Bonus Incentive Policy
- Prepare ad hoc reports on payroll and pension information, costs, payments etc., as requested by the Chief People Officer, other senior HR staff, Finance staff, Executive Directors, DMDs and Department Heads
- This role is a hybrid work from home role with occasional travel to the office for meetings and month end
- Knowledge and experience of the payroll process from end to end
- Good working knowledge of a modern computerised payroll system. Experience of SDWorx is desired but not essential
- Previous payroll experience with a good understanding of PAYE including Tax & National Insurance calculations & statutory payments
- Understanding of how sickness affects the payroll process as well as knowledge of SSP and how it's paid
- Ability to utilise Microsoft and other software packages effectively including intermediate to advanced Excel skills
- Highly organised with outstanding attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to build relationships at all levels across the business and with external contacts
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Resilient and able to prioritise and work under pressure to meet competing demands and deadlines
- Tactful and able to resolve problems with those who may have concerns or queries
- A recognised qualification in Payroll is desirable but not essential
Our purpose at McCarthy Stone is to champion the role, wellbeing and happiness of older people in society. We aim to create a better understanding and appreciation of older people and play our part in helping them to live happy and healthy lives. To support our purpose we require all of our front-line colleagues and those in care and support to be fully vaccinated in line with the government policy on care homes. If you are applying for one of our front-line roles please be prepared to provide evidence of your vaccination status on successful application.