Competencies and Skills:
- A post-graduate degree in Risk Management and or Internal Audit.
- Member of the Institute of Risk Management of South Africa (IRMSA).
- Minimum 7 years' combined experience in risk management, of which at least 5 years on management level
- In-depth understanding of regulatory compliance requirements.
- Should be well versed with the regulatory environment.
- Knowledge of the information technology environment and related risks.
Key Performance Areas:
- In-depth knowledge of the risk function policies, standards, and procedures.
- Intellectual curiosity and analytical approach to work.
- Ability to influence a culture of risk awareness in the organization.
- Independent thought leadership to strategic decisions and debate.
- Ability to lead and exercise authority through expertise, and experience, showing both strategic
- and operational understanding of the business model.
- Strong big-picture and strategic orientation yet detail focused.
- Strong sense of collaboration and ability to develop positive relationships with key business stakeholders and demonstrate respectful, constructive negotiating skills.
- Leadership ability to inspire and motivate others to perform well through continuous feedback.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with proven ability to present and explain complex information and suggest process improvements to a diverse audience including Operations and Executive/Senior Management and the Board.
- Technical Knowledge: Should have a strong understanding of statistics and quantitative data
- analysis methods, understanding of different risk management related IT/software applications Data / database Management.
- Risk Control mindset: Should show mastery of risk disciplines at organisation-wide and integrated
- level, risk processes, tools and techniques, capital management, risk-related regulations, and compliance.
- Oversee the Risk Management Function to ensure teamwork; that they remain motivated through operational plans and performance evaluations.
- Environmental risk analysis and reporting, corrective strategies and maturity model developed.
- Facilitate information and communication technology risk identification and reporting, including the identification of cyber security risks, implementation of mitigating controls, strategies and processes required to ensure cyber resilience.
- Monitor the implementation of mitigating controls identified in the Strategic and Operational Risk Registers.
- Maintain close liaison with the Commissioner, Board Audit and Risk Committee and management.
- Monitor and review all tools, methodologies, policies, and procedures developed by the risk
- management team and facilitate approval by the Board/Executive Management.
- Monitoring, evaluating, and reporting on the risk environment within the organization.
- Improve the risk management readiness through communication and training programs.
- Maintain systems of internal controls and participate in all forms of risk management.
- Provide strategic direction, leadership, and management to the Risk Management Function.
- Develop and implement the Enterprise Risk Management Strategy, Enterprise Risk Management Framework.
- Ensure that risks are identified, managed, and monitored in accordance with best practice and recognized standards.
- Manage and coordinate the activities of the Risk Management Function as well as reporting on all risk activities to MANCO, EXCO and the Board Audit & Risk Committee.
A Chief Risk Officer role has become available in Pretoria and the successful candidate will be responsible for leading and directing the risk function and to ensure effective strategic as well as operational risk management and assurance, including information technology and fraud risk identification and management for the organization.