Forward (NASDAQ: FWRD) is a leading asset-light freight and logistics company, providing less-than-truckload (“LTL”), final mile, truckload, and intermodal across the United States and in Canada. We are a highly respected transportation and logistics Company with revenues in excess of $1B annually. We utilize an asset-light strategy to minimize our investments in equipment and facilities and to reduce our capital expenditures. Our services are classified into two reportable segments:
Through the Expedited Freight segment, the Company operates a comprehensive national network to provide expedited regional, inter-regional and national less-than-truckload ("LTL") services. Expedited Freight offers customers local pick-up and delivery and other services including final mile, truckload, shipment consolidation and deconsolidation, warehousing, customs brokerage and other handling.
The Company's Intermodal segment provides first- and last-mile high value intermodal container drayage services both to and from seaports and railheads. Intermodal also offers dedicated contract and container freight station ("CFS") warehouse and handling services. Today, Intermodal operates primarily in the Midwest and Southeast, with a smaller operational presence in the Southwest United States.
POSITION: Vice President & Corporate Controller
The Vice President & Corporate Controller position is responsible for the accounting operations of the company, to include the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company's reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with U.S generally accepted accounting principles as well SEC rules and regulations.
CORE DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for leading the professional staff in accounting and reporting activities including the development of monthly US GAAP compliant financial statements.
- Responsible for ensuring reporting compliance with key internal/external business partners including banks and investors.
- Responsible for the implementation of all new accounting pronouncements, including SEC rules and regulations.
- Responsible for maintaining an appropriate internal control environment for financial reporting and analysis. Evaluates the impact of possible internal control weaknesses and develops contingency and remediation plans.
- Responsible for coordinating and managing the external financial audit process consistent with the established internal controls and external compliance environment.
- Responsible for ensuring corporate finance and accounting staff are trained and operationally effective. Promotes staff skill development and encourages innovation and cross functional collaboration.
- Responsible for enterprise wide projects as assigned by the Chief Financial Officer.
The successful candidate is an individual with strong “leadership presence” who works well and engages at all levels of the organization. The candidate is assertive and self-confident, and able to provide a leading role both internally and externally. Additionally, s/he will have an eye for the bottom-line impact of decisions or strategies. The right Candidate will be energetic, resourceful and a hands-on individual with a strong service orientation and bias for action, someone who commits himself/herself fully to the job and who is dedicated to the company’s strategic direction.
The ideal candidate will be known as a highly collaborative and results-oriented leader, a change agent who brings a strong point of view yet can drive towards collective ownership of ideas for the good of the business. The candidate must be a strong communicator and influencer who possesses professional maturity and credibility with little ego. S/he should also have a healthy respect for the Forward brand and heritage.
The successful Vice President & Corporate Controller will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance/similar discipline, CPA and/or MBA is strongly preferred with 10-12 years of progressive accounting and financial leadership experience. Prior experience in Transportation, Package Delivery and or related industry is preferred but not required.
- Demonstrated experience as a well-rounded financial leader with strong strategy, planning and execution skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of financial reporting systems and process re-engineering.
- Demonstrated experience in collaborating across the company; particularly with sales, operations and company subsidiaries.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively at all levels of the organization and serves as the finance and accounting subject matter expert.
- Demonstrated history of possessing highly effective leadership and communication skills with strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to articulate and implement key lessons learned and identifying improvement opportunities.
The ideal leader will be an engaging and collaborative executive with good listening skills, but a decisive style. With all of this must come a hands-on, detailed, action-oriented personality and style. S/he will have demonstrated the ability to provide a solid and approved vision to drive execution using wise judgement and inspiring trust. Stylistically, this person should be savvy, highly credible and collaborative, and have a partnering mindset across the company.
This individual will possess the following characteristics and skills:
- Proven Change Agent: Desire and ability to lead by bringing bold thought leadership to the accounting function. An inspiring leader who communicates passion, energy, and excitement with high emotional intelligence.
- Broad Business Perspective: Exceptional strategic skills and the ability to balance the intuitive and analytical. Has the proven ability to blend high level strategic skills with short-term focused initiatives.
- Strong Relationship Builder, Communicator, and Influencer: An outstanding relationship builder with strong communication skills who can articulate concepts, initiatives, and goals with clarity to a range of constituents. Significant team-building experience with proven success in developing strong relationships throughout an organization and achieving buy-in across various constituencies.
Forward is an Equal Opportunity employer.