Westat is an employee-owned corporation providing research services to agencies of the U.S. Government, as well as businesses, foundations, and state and local governments. Westat's research, technical, and administrative staff of more than 2,000 is located at our headquarters in Rockville, Maryland, near Washington, DC.
Westat is seeking a highly accountable Risk Management professional with Second/Third line of defense experience to join the Internal Controls team. Working in close partnership with internal stakeholders across the company, you will be responsible for documenting, implementing, testing and monitoring activities for Accounting and Finance processes. This position will also liaison with external auditors on audit related matters.
This position is remote eligible and reports to the Internal Controls Manager.
- Play a substantive role in the project management of Internal Controls activities.
- Build effective relationships with colleagues to enable partnership and collaboration for control-related matters.
- Work with process owners to develop and maintain documented policies, procedures, process narratives and process flowcharts.
- Educate and provide guidance to process owners on control development and design, as needed.
- Work with external auditors regarding document requests, questions or issues, as needed.
- Perform internal controls assessments/testing (e.g. walkthrough, design and operating effectiveness), provide recommendations (remediation and mitigation) to enhance controls for key processes.
- Prepare summary report of findings and recommendations.
- Perform continuous monitoring activities and tracking of corrective action plans.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Management, Finance or related field.
- 5 years of audit/risk management/internal controls experience
- Sarbanes-Oxley, Second Line of Defense, Third Line of Defense, Internal Control, Internal Audit, External Audit, Risk Management or Process Improvement experience
- Working knowledge of MS Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio)
- Developing and reviewing process narratives, policies, procedures and training material
- Developing and executing audit plan; including testing of key controls, summarizing findings and recommendations for improvement
- Evaluating and tracking audit findings and corrective action plans
Westat offers a well-rounded and comprehensive benefits program focused on wellness and work/life balance. Eligible employees may participate in:
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Vacation Leave
- Sick Leave
- Holiday Leave
- Professional Development
- Health Advocate
- Employee Assistance Program
- Travel Accident Insurance
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account
Protecting the health and safety of our employees and survey participants is a top priority for Westat. As a federal government contractor, Westat will require Westat staff, regardless of work location, to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon hire or prior to December 8, 2021, whichever is later, and to follow all safety protocols, subject to approved accommodations under applicable law.
Westat is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or any other protected status under applicable law.