Job Profile SummaryAbout us
Our purpose is to bring together people, energy and markets to power and navigate a changing world.
In a time of constant change and possibility we need new talent to pursue commercial opportunities, fueled by world-class insight and expertise. We're always striving for more innovative digital solutions, sustainable outcomes and closer collaboration across our company and beyond, and you could be part of that too. Together we continue to grow as the world's leading energy trader!
About the role
The Senior Commodity Risk Analyst - Refining Products & Low Carbon Americas is a key strategic control position within the Commodity Risk function and bp's Trading and Shipping Finance. This position reports to the Commodity Risk Lead for a specific commodity's aspects of control. The role holder serves as the primary interface for trading and supply benches, while managing the daily activities that meet the team's core responsibility of delivering independent daily exposure and P&L, and provides analytics to support business insight, including working capital and cash.This role will be based out of our Chicago, IL office.Key accountabilities
- Responsible for the creation and delivery of high quality, insightful, value added, and automated management information.
- Responsible for bringing transparency to deal structures and explaining financial impacts in operational terms.
- Independent understanding of trading strategies to identify/raise and mitigate financial, operational & reputational risk related to new or existing activities.
- Ensure timely validation of deal blotters and business summaries from the front office to ensure that new business deals are accurately represented in the system.
- Daily maintenance and validation of non-global curves and resolve any issue with bench analyst on a timely basis.
- Collaborate closely with finance, risk and front office teams to resolve any discrepancies on counterparty, pricing, volume and MTM intent.
- Maintain and review deal level MTM, exposure and P&L.
- Accurately validate, monitor and manage ancillaries and related P&L daily including troubleshooting and resolving any related issues.
- Actively engage with global teams, ensuring proper handoffs between regions.
- Support regional and global process standardization initiatives.
Job AdvertAbout you
Ideal candidates will have a bachelor's degree with at least 5 years of finance, risk or other proven experience. You will be proficient at identifying basic risk mitigation strategies and have the ability to drive commercial focus, analyze exposures and be a strategic member of our finance team. Being knowledgeable about the external environment in which the business operates and being able to assess and challenge its impact on the business risk matrix is crucial to this role. You should be able to analyze operational risk exposure and advise risk mitigation programs. Possessing programming skills and understanding energy trading markets and instruments would be highly beneficial.
Why join us
At bp, we support our people to learn and grow in a diverse and challenging environment. We believe that our team is strengthened by diversity. We are committed to fostering an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected and treated fairly.
There are many aspects of our employees' lives that are meaningful, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits can include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, and excellent retirement benefits, among others!
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Job Family GroupFinance Group
Time TypeFull time
CountryUnited States of America
Join us in a crucial time of transition. We are bringing all of our finance and procurement activities for the group into one place, enabling better work.
For you this means working with us on:Compliance
- efficiently delivering external reporting requirements to ensure we continue to meet our regulatory obligations in all jurisdictions, supported by robust control environment across all three lines of defence.Stewardship
- laying out a robust finance framework and providing ongoing management of the balance sheet and portfolio execution, supported by effective advocacy to the market.Performance
- facilitating the effective allocation of capital, development of business plans and coordination of business performance interventions to ensure a consistent delivery between strategic aspirations, operational forecasts and delivered outcomes. Furthermore, you will be responsible for value creation through mergers and acquisition-led deals, commercial negotiations and integration of business opportunities.Transformation
- driving digital transformation (centralising, digitising, optimising) across all elements of the finance entity to achieve sector-leading cost-performance.
Legal disclaimerIf you are selected for a position in the United States, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test(and alcohol screening/medical examination if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process. The drug screen requires a hair test for which BP must be able to obtain a sufficient hair sample for analysis (~4 cm/1 ½" scalp, or > 2 cm/¾" body - arms & armpits/legs/chest)
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, BP is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, military status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other protected group status. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us or have one of your representatives contact us at BPUSApplicationAssis@bp.com; or by telephone at 281.366.1999.
Read the Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the poster supplement - for more information about Equal Employment Opportunities. (Spanish version)
BP is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. View our policy statement