American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE)
Department: Finance Department
Location: National Office
FSLA Classification: Exempt
Position Title: Accounting Services Manager
Date of Revision/Creations:
CLASSIFICATION: Accounting Services Manager
The Finance Department has the responsibility of handling all financial matters, accounting processes and records, including the preparation of financial and management reports, for the American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE). The position herein described is responsible for the administration of accounting services, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, and administrative issues. This position is excluded from the bargaining unit.
- DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops and maintains appropriate measures for benchmarking performance, streamlining and re-engineering financial functions and processes, including accounts payable, expense vouchers and accounts receivable.
- Develops and maintains strong working relationships with AFGE Department and District personnel, AFGE Locals and Councils, and other affiliated entities of AFGE; also maintains thorough understanding of current activities and related issues to provide advice and recommendations on improvement processes.
- Manages all accounts payable and accounts receivable clerks in the department, to achieve a consistently high level of performance, both in quantity and quality.
- Facilitates proactive communications with staff, implements staff development plans, and promotes a high level of employee satisfaction and morale.
- Works closely with the Director and Deputy Director to develop and provide timely, relevant, and insightful financial and operational reporting to AFGE and its leadership.
- Supports the preparation of the AFGE financial reports, through timely and consistent postings through the various ledgers, including accounts payable and accounts receivables.
- Reviews and approves the accounts payable ledger postings, including the processing of AFGE’s self-insured programs.
- Facilitates and understands the integration of the agency dues deduction tape processing with the accounting and membership functions.
- Manages and prepares special projects and reports in support of the National Secretary-Treasurer’s objectives.
- Ensures compliance with NEC policy, convention actions and negotiated contracts.
This job operates in a professional environment working to establish Federation and Departmental goals. The incumbent will routinely use standard office equipment such as computers, fax machines, scanners, and phones. Travel is required and position may require long periods of travel. Long hours are periodically required. The employee will periodically be required to do some lifting and/or move items over 10 pounds.
IV.CONTROLS OVER THE POSITION
This position receives direct supervision from the Director of Finance. The Deputy Director may also provide specific instructions concerning procedures and policies and may direct the implementation of new policies and procedures when applicable.
- Completion of a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance. In lieu of educational requirement, 10 years of specialized experience in union administration/not-for-profit field may be accepted.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in non-profit finance environment, and familiarity with the union’s finances and accounting systems required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent management and customer service skills are essential.
- Must have an interest in and loyalty to the American labor movement.
AFGE provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, gender identity and/or gender expression. In addition to federal law requirements, AFGE complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. The policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Interesting candidates please submit resume to firstname.lastname@example.org