The Assistant Financial Accountant (‘AFA’) will lead the engine room of AMI’s finances, ensuring that the core financial operations of the business run efficiently and effectively, whilst providing a high level of support for the key financial accounting of the Group.
As a pivotal role within both the business, and specifically within the finance team, the AFA will be self-motivated with a real desire to continuously improve the operations of the team – taking initiative and responsibility to make improvements rather than awaiting direction.
The AFA will be a ‘team player’, leading and supporting the Sales and Purchase Ledger Managers to deliver their objectives. More widely the AFA will influence colleagues to improve process and deliver great products to our customers.
Essential duties & responsibilities:
- To work closely with the Sales Ledger Manager and Purchase Ledger Manager to help identify, review existing and drive new internal finance processes, taking overarching responsibility of our order-to-invoice and purchase-to-pay processes.
- Accountable for the team’s closing of sales and purchase ledgers for AMI and the companies of the Group on WD1, allowing for a WD3 month end close-down.
To assist with the financial accounting of the group
- Including balance sheet reconciliations; including but not limited to fixed assets, accruals and prepayments, bank accounts, control accounts including those of payroll and intercompany transactions.
- Company and group revaluations, on assets and balances.
- Fixed asset management and recording.
- Ongoing technical support to the sales and purchase ledger managers.
- To provide operational support to the business and event organisers, highlighting potential issues and managing queries surrounding our procurement of global venues and associated payments.
- Provide internal support and analysis, to meet the needs and requirements of our external governing bodies, assisting AMI to meet its legal and tax responsibilities, including working with our third party partners to support such relationships.
- To support the Finance Manager in the completion of VAT returns across our multiple VAT jurisdictions, as well as supporting our US reporting requirements for sales tax and others as required.
- Oversight of the internal and external customer queries, handled by the finance team, ensuring the team deliver a high level of customer service in a timely manner – and acting as the point of transactional escalation.
- Ensuring high quality data is input into our sales and purchase ledgers, to enable effective analysis, reporting and inform business decision making.
- In collaboration with the Sales and Purchase Ledger Managers, accountable for the reconciliation of customer and supplier accounts.
- Accountable for the completion of daily bank and payment partner reconciliations.
- Responsible for the production of transactional KPI’s and reporting of the core ‘engine room’.
- To support the Finance Manager and Financial Controller with the year-end closedown and audit working papers.
- Ad-hoc duties as required.
We are looking for someone who is:
- A collaborative team player yet have the ability to work on their own initiatives, with a positive and constructive can-do attitude towards new tasks and processes.
- Ability to prioritise their own workload, complete multiple tasks and work flexibly to meet tight deadlines and changeable priorities.
- Strong customer service skills with an excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to work well as part of a team and to support and inspire others.
- Practical knowledge and technical experience in finance and accounting.
- Intermediate experience of Excel, including sumif’s, pivot tables, vlookups etc desirable.
- Level 4 AAT qualified, Part Qualified Chartered Accountant or QBE/willingness to undertake study options considered.
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics NAV and CRM desirable but not essential
More about us:
AMI is the leading provider of information, market intelligence and events for the global plastics industry. Our business is underpinned by our talented people and our unique databases.
Alongside a competitive salary, we offer a comprehensive range of employee benefits to help you to make the most from your finances, safeguard your future and look after your health. These include a 5% employer pension contribution, 25 days holiday entitlement and a health cash scheme as well as dedicated health and wellbeing support. We are happy to talk about flexible working so please have a chat with the recruiting manager if you would like to explore alternative work patterns and we’ll do our best to support this where possible.