For over 130 years, National Benevolent Association (NBA) has been collaborating with leaders and with health and social service organizations to strengthen and transform communities through compassion, healing, and justice. NBA is the health and social services general ministry of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). NBA provides education, companionship, inspiration, and resources for organizational and leadership development for Disciples-affiliated health and social service ministries. Partnerships are grounded in the NBA’s historic mission of justice and advocacy.
NBA is seeking a strategic, experienced Chief Financial Officer to drive the organization’s financial success and to help lead the organization towards fulfilling its core values: Rooted in Compassionate Care, Accountability, Collaborative Partnerships, Accompaniment and Forward Leaning.
Reporting directly to our President/CEO, the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) will:
- SERVE AS A TRUSTED LEADER: Serve as a key advisor to the CEO and as a valued member of NBA’s Leadership Team. Collaborate with the CEO and Leadership Team on developing, implementing, and evaluating the organization’s vision, mission, core values and strategic plan, with particular emphasis on all financial matters including budgeting. Represent the organization in various settings across the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), including attending the Christian Church Foundation’s Board meetings. Build collaborative partnerships, a culture of uncompromising ethics and a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- DIRECT FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT STRATEGIES: Direct and oversee all aspects of the organization’s accounting and finance practices. Provide direction to support the Finance Department’s responsive service to staff, trustees, donors, and partners. Review and assess current financial processes and explore opportunities for continuous improvement. Develop financial strategy and implement plans by evaluating trends, establishing critical measurements, and determining best practices. Direct all financial goals, objectives and manage the annual budget process. Report on past performance and prepare future projections. Maintain security and controls on accounting practices. Ensure that the organization is compliant with finance, accounting, and business requirements. Serve as the staff liaison for NBA’s Board of Trustees including working with the Finance and Audit Committees. Oversee the annual audit practice, working with external auditors, the CEO and the Board of Trustees. Maximize return on invested funds by identifying investment opportunities and maintaining relationships with the organization’s investment firms.
- LEAD AND INSPIRE A HIGH-PERFORMING TEAM: Provide leadership, development, and day-to-day oversight for an accounting team of two. Foster a culture which promotes learning, employee engagement and teamwork. Measure performance and provide meaningful feedback. Hire and train new talent for finance team as needed in collaboration with the operations department. Lead team to build trusted relationships with internal and external constituents.
- The position is located in Saint Louis, Missouri. Relocation assistance is available. Office staff do have opportunity to work from home occasionally. There is a private office provided.
- Occasional travel will be required.
- Readiness and desire to help actively lead a high performing, North American organization.
- Minimum of eight years of progressive financial management implementation and supervisory experience.
- Passion for NBA’s mission, advocating for the well-being of humanity and creating communities of compassion and care.
- Experience in nonprofit, social services or mission-driven organizations is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting/finance or a related field is required; a Master’s degree and/or a CPA designation is a plus.
- Proficiency in database and accounting computer application systems.
Other Skills & Abilities:
- Values-driven leader with a high level of ethics and uncontested integrity.
- Strong strategic planning, organizational and problem-solving skills with the ability to multi-task and assimilate new information quickly.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills with proven ability to cultivate and sustain internal and external relationships.
Ready to Apply?
If you are interested, qualified and ready to take the next step, click "Apply." All inquiries and resume submissions will be treated as strictly confidential. Please do not contact National Benevolent Association directly.
Collaborative Strategies, Inc., is a St. Louis-based consulting firm with dedicated talent management and search practice and has been connecting talent with opportunity since 1994. We take pride in matching talented leaders seeking mission-critical endeavors with entrepreneurial organizations such as National Benevolent Association.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement:
The National Benevolent Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The National Benevolent Association, in affirmation of its commitment to excellence and cultural relevance, endeavors to provide equal opportunity for all individuals in its hiring, promotion, compensation and employment practices. Organizational decisions regarding hiring, promotion, compensation and human resource practices will be based upon a person’s qualifications and/or performance without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, gender, gender identity or gender expression, genetic information, military status, or religion, except where religion is a bona fide occupational qualification. This policy extends to every phase of the employment process including: recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job assignment, compensation, benefits, transfers, reductions in force, terminations, and organization-sponsored educational, social, and recreational programs.