REPORTS TO: Accounting Manager
STATUS: Full-time, exempt
Through artistic excellence coupled with innovative, relevant programming; initiatives to connect with and grow new audiences; engagement with communities to ignite creativity across Chicago; and a modernized Opera House that is the setting for truly great experiences, Lyric is leading the advancement of opera. This collaborative vision will deliver ever more exciting, thought-provoking, and inclusive audience and community experiences – while increasing the gravitational pull of our art form, company, and city.
We are searching for a collaborative Accounting Specialist who thrives in an evolving accounting environment and brings an innovative and curious approach toward processes. In addition, the Accounting Specialist will have excellent analytical skills and experience with account reconciliations. This position will contribute to the efficiency and productivity of the Finance Department in innovative ways while following the guidelines listed below.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform monthly closing duties, including general account analysis and reconciliation and preparing journal entries.
- Handle monthly bank payments.
- Process artistic independent contractor payments, foreign currency invoices, and union benefits payments (electronic and physical checks).
- Process/record daily bank deposits.
- Monitor and reissue stale checks; manage annual escheatment process.
- Review supporting detail and issue annual information returns for the US and Foreign individuals (Form 1099 & 1042S) to independent contractors.
- Maintain detailed records and ensure adequate funding of the Opera’s bulk mail, business reply, and postage meter accounts, including proper ledger coding and monthly reconciliation.
- Prepare and file quarterly government surveys.
- Financial audit preparation as assigned.
- Serve as a backup to the Staff Accountant and the Accounts Payable Associate.
- As the business evolves, so may this role. These duties may change as Lyric’s leadership identifies the need at any time.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- BS in Accounting and strong knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles required.
- 2+ years in accounting preferred.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Excel.
- Excellent analytical and account reconciliation skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload to meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced and dynamic work environment.
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal, with the ability to communicate issues to all levels of management.
- Ability to work and think independently, a motivated self-starter who also works well in a larger team.
- Sitting for extended periods.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other office equipment.
The Lyric Opera of Chicago is committed to enhancing our diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Lyric does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.