Through artistic excellence coupled with innovative, relevant programming; initiatives to connect with and grow new audiences; engagement with communities to ignite creativity across Chicago; and a modernized Opera House that is the setting for truly great experiences, Lyric is leading the advancement of opera. This collaborative vision will deliver ever more exciting, thought-provoking, and inclusive audience and community experiences – while increasing the gravitational pull of our art form, company, and city.
We are searching for a collaborative Staff Accountant who thrives in an evolving accounting environment and brings an innovative and curious approach toward processes. In addition, the Staff Accountant will have excellent analytical and account reconciliation skills. This position will contribute to the efficiency and productivity of the Finance Department in innovative ways while following the guidelines listed below.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Monitor and fund daily cash liquidity needs.
- Manage and reconcile the company credit cards.
- Serve as liaison with bank and credit card companies.
- Perform monthly closing duties, including general account analysis and reconciliation, bank reconciliation, and preparing journal entries.
- Collaborate with the Facilities Department to properly account for respective revenues and expenses for outside events, facility rentals, dining space activities.
- Initiate and record monthly settlement transfers.
- Handle all dispute resolutions initiated by patrons via the credit card company or bank.
- Prepare and file surveys and amusement and restaurant tax returns.
- Calculate royalty payments.
- Assist with the 990 return and financial audit preparation as assigned.
- Serve as a backup for the Accounts Payable function.
- Other duties as assigned by Lyric leadership.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- BS in Accounting and strong knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles required.
- 2+ years in accounting preferred.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Excel.
- Excellent analytical and account reconciliation skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload to meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced and dynamic work environment.
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal, with the ability to communicate issues to all levels of management.
- Ability to work and think independently, a motivated self-starter who also works well in a larger team.
- Sitting for extended periods.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other office equipment.
The Lyric Opera of Chicago is committed to enhancing our diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Lyric does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.