Disclosure and Barring Service
Assistant Management Accountant
Directorate: Finance and Corporate Services
Location: Finance is based in Liverpool, location can be national
Reports to: Management Accountant
Line management: Yes
Security clearance level required: BPSS
Salary: £30,149.00 - £34, 575.00
About the department:
The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) was established under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 on 1 December 2012, operating from two sites, Liverpool and Darlington.
We provide disclosure functions in England, Wales, Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man, and barring functions for England, Wales and Northern Ireland, on behalf of government.
DBS operates within the safeguarding arena alongside our multi-agency partners. Safeguarding means protecting people’s health, wellbeing and human rights, and enabling them to live free from harm, abuse and neglect.
As an Assistant Management Accountant your role will be to support the Management Accountants in establishing a controls-based environment, delivering on all matters of statutory and regulatory compliance, whilst ensuring the provision of accurate financial information and monthly management accounts.
• Assist with and actively contribute towards a culture of high performance, strong engagement, and a commitment to continuous improvement
• Prepare and review month-end journals and balance sheet reconciliations, ensuring meaningful supporting documentation for all reconciling items is maintained
• Reconciling items should have root cause analysis undertaken to ensure prompt resolution with underlying causes being actively addressed to prevent such reconciling items in the future
• Review and improve accuracy of source transactions and financial controls to ensure the integrity of the management accounts
• Assist with the timely preparation of the monthly management accounts pack to the defined service level and agreed timetable, including Profit and Loss accounts, Balance Sheets, variance analysis and commentarie
• Assist Management Accountants and where relevant attend meetings with managers in the business to provide and explain relevant financial information, to improve decision making, forecasting, and budgeting.
• Develop and build effective stakeholder relationships, to enhance finance knowledge that supports effective financial decision making, control and financial awareness across DBS.
• Assist the Management Accountants and Finance Business Partners with the production of accurate forecasts and budgets in line with the business plan.
• Assist in the preparation of accurate and timely information to support all external reporting, including external and internal audit, and regulatory returns.
• Proactively identify and recommend process and system improvements from both an efficiency and financial control perspective.
• Support the successful implementation of the departments systems and procedures, both IT and non-IT based
• Deputise for the Management Accountants when required.
• Undertake additional duties appropriate to the role and/or grade.
• Proven ability to build effective relationships with colleagues across the organisation and other stakeholders
• Excellent attention to detail, analytical and problem-solving skills
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to work flexibly and respond positively to changing business needs
• Demonstrable personal case studies showing direct involvement with management account production and balance sheet reconciliations
• Experience of the preparation and audit of financial statements
• Knowledge of accounting techniques and principles
• Knowledge of finance systems, processes and control environments
• Must be actively studying or be willing to study towards a professional accountancy qualification.
For more information and to apply, please visit: 21.101 Assistant Management Accountant - Civil Service Jobs - GOV.UK
Closing date: 30th September at 11:55pm