Role Accounts Payable Officers
Connect2Luton are excited to recruit a Accounts Payable Officers on behalf of Luton Borough Council within their C&C department!
As Accounts Payable Officers you will responsible to provide accounts payable support to the Finance Division, including processing all invoices (Via intelligent scanning) generated throughout the Authority. Supporting the Creditors financial system; with the responsibility for documenting procedures, testing modifications and assisting Schools and devolved users.
About the Role
- Assess and determine the suitability of invoices/petty cash and imprest claims in relation to financial regulations, identifying payment priority to ensure creditors payment terms are met as defined in the Late Payment of Commercial Debts Act, including checking of VAT when required. Assist and reply to written and telephone enquires relating to invoices/ledger codes and schools/departments monthly statements.
- Prepare and generate weekly payment runs to produce cheque and BACS payments to creditors in line with predetermined timetables. Action exceptions reports accordingly highlighted on the prepayment report
- Responsible for the processing, handling and reconciliation of the Authorities Petty Cash scheme and ensure that periodic standing journal payments are processed to meet predetermined deadlines
- In depth knowledge of CIS (Construction Industry Scheme). Ability to deal with complex written and verbal enquiries from HMRC, schools and departments on CIS issues. Extracting data and maintaining reports to reconcile monthly and annual figures require by Inland Revenue Legislation. Issue monthly statements to sub-contractors
- In depth knowledge on the Procurement Ordering System (AFP). Ensuring users receive accurate advice on the relationship between AFP and Accounts Payable. Administering the Purchasing system on behalf of Payment Services Team, Debtors and Payroll
- Responsible for the implementation & testing of new releases of the Financial Creditors application. Assist the Payments Team Manager prepare and deliver training to other users and new members of staff. Document control procedures and training notes, updating as and when necessary
- Able to use spreadsheets, word processing and e-mail packages
- Able to use IT databases such as Financials or equivalent software
- Able to develop, maintain and monitor systems and ensure those systems are audit compliance
- Able to use an intelligent scanner
- Evidence of numeracy skills, combined with attention to detail and sound verbal reasoning skills.
- In depth knowledge of HMRC legislation in the relation to the construction industry scheme.
- NVQ 3 in a finance subject or equivalent experience
- Evidence of working with members of the public
Luton Borough Council have partnered with Kent County Council to create Connect2Luton, a recruitment managed service for all contingent temporary agency, contract and interim roles at the Council.
Our heritage and being local government owned means we have a wealth of knowledge and expertise within the public sector, with many of our employees having previously worked for the Council or have supplied previously into the Council, for several years.
We are an equal opportunities employment agency and business that positively encourages applications from all suitably qualified and eligible candidates.
Connect2Luton, part of Luton Borough Council & Kent Commercial Services LLP, is an equal opportunities Employment Agency & Business and positively encourages applications from all suitably qualified and eligible candidates.