4 days left
- Full Time
RTI International, an independent research organization with its global headquarters in the Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, is conducting a search for an experienced, well-rounded, and highly qualified Assistant Corporate Controller – Domestic (“Assistant Controller”). This will be at the Director or Senior Director grade, depending upon the qualifications of the successful candidate.
RTI International’s $1 Billion plus in research revenue is mostly funded by long-term US government research and assistance awards. Its independent Board of Governors is comprised of accomplished individuals from industry, academia, and research. RTI International was founded in 1958 by Duke University, UNC Chapel Hill and NC State University. While close ties remain with these three founding organizations, RTI International is financially self-sufficient and it routinely reinvests into its programs, staff and facilities.
The Assistant Controller’s role will be based (onsite, hybrid or fully virtual) at RTI’s Research Triangle Park, North Carolina global headquarters campus. The Assistant Controller will serve on the Controller’s senior leadership team. This role will be equally and highly visible across its internal and external constituencies. The successful candidate will be a growth minded and customer focused accounting professional that possesses a conglomeration of demonstrated skills, abilities, and experience. Emphasis will be placed on operational excellence, quality assurance and technical accounting. The optimal candidate will have held a similar role before in the professional services industries (legal, accounting, engineering, or consulting) or with a life sciences contract research organization. Government contracting exposure or experience is not required.
The Assistant Controller will oversee the following areas: Corporate Accounting\General Ledger, Accounting Information Systems, US GAAP Financial Reporting, Revenue Assurance and Financial Statement Audits.
- Responsible for the global financial consolidation.
- Maintenance of monthly, quarterly and year-end closing schedules and the associated reconciliations.
- Preparation of monthly, quarterly and year-end management reporting packages.
- Preparation and review of the audited and unaudited consolidated financial statements, in accordance with US GAAP.
- Maintains and adheres to the internal control environments for financial reporting and government accounting.
- Maintains the documentation and application of accounting policies and procedures, including the evaluation and adoption of new FASB pronouncements.
- Responsible for identifying and implementing improvements in work processes.
- Leads the development of the role’s various functions ensuring sufficient resources and needed skill sets are present to meet the needs of RTI International.
- Establishes and maintains strong working relationships with various external auditors.
- Partners with the research unit finance leadership and the general and administrative functions.
- Ensures practices are in place to ensure/drive towards a high level of staff morale and retention.
- Manages staff performance planning, development and the evaluation process.
- Ensures staff development and career progression.
- Guides the promotion and succession processes.
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting and a graduate degree in Accounting or Business Administration.
- Licensed Certified Public Accountant with at least 15 years of total experience, comprised of multinational industry and Big 4 CPA firm experience.
- Ten years of demonstrated management experience, attained in a progressive manner that includes successively larger roles.
- Experience leading and managing a project based or contract research organization’s accounting operations.
- Strong US GAAP technical accounting knowledge is required.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgement in the application of accounting standards, regulations and requirements across a contract research portfolio comprised of federal government and commercial awards.
- Technical writing experience, including the preparation and review of briefs, memorandums, opinion letters, training materials, and or operations manuals.
- Proven track record of balancing a strong control environment while providing meaningful support to the contract research units in the attainment of their goals and objectives.
- Proven track record of success facilitating progressive organizational change and development within a growing and complex global organization.
- Demonstrated experience with identifying and nurturing the growth and success of key talent and staff, and their promotion to successively higher roles.
Skills and Abilities:
- Exceptional written, oral, and presentation skills and the ability to communicate effectively to all constituencies and explains complex issues in a manner appropriate to the intended audiences.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to collaborate successfully and effectively with the other members of the senior management team and within the corporate staff and the research groups.
- Strong organizational and leadership skills with the demonstrated ability to attract, retain and develop talent.
- Superior management skills, including the ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers.
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical accounting, finance and administration initiatives.
- Promotes a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Promotes and understands how to effectively lead and manage in a diverse work environment.
- Possesses the highest level of integrity and trust.
- Strong curiosity and learning nature.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Entrepreneurial team player who can multitask, that is self-reliant and a good problem solver. Provides strong mentoring and coaching experience to a team with diverse levels of expertise and experience.