Senior Accountant - Treasury and Investments
We have an exciting opportunity for the right person to join the Treasury and Investments team at a time of expansion, when we will look after both the treasury function, and also a new portfolio of wider investments for Warwickshire County Council.
The Treasury and Investment team manages and positions the council’s cash balances, making sure the right amounts are in the right place, at the right time. Whether that is in our bank account, invested with an external fund, loaned to another council or business, or on deposit with a 3rd party bank. This team deal with big numbers, we currently mange approximately £400m of cash and cash equivalents and £350m of debt; and it deals with big decisions, we are embarking on a new series of investments which will involve decisions around new investment of approximately £300m into businesses within the County over the next 5 years.
We are a small, friendly team of 4 people and are part of the wider Council finance service. Treasury function is integral to day to day Council operations so we work with many other teams both within and outside of Finance.
About the Role
An important part of the daily operations, this role supports the smooth running of the Treasury and Investment function, ensures reporting requirements are met and liaises with consultants and advisers. The role will also have a significant focus on project work, investment appraisal, implementation and monitoring, and delivery of the Investment Strategy. Future focused, this role is key in shaping the Treasury and Investment function.
You do not necessarily have to have local government or public sector experience. This is a specialist role and the key experience necessary is treasury management and non-treasury investment appraisal and investment portfolio management - from supporting the high-level governance arrangements through to the details of debt management.
We are looking for an experienced qualified finance professional who can:
- Work with high values and numerical data, demonstrating accuracy and efficiency.
- Able to think and work at both a strategic level and at a detailed level, and having the judgement to know which is appropriate to a given task or situation.
- Demonstrate experience of investment activities and exposure to different risk appetites.
- Have a good understanding of company financing and business planning.
- Able to challenge the status quo in a positive way and bring new ideas to the team.
- Support the team in achieving targets and delivering strategy.
- Communicate professionally with technical and non-technical colleagues, in a clear and timely manner.
- Able to work effectively under pressure in a deadline driven environment.
- Able to implement policies and controls faithfully but also able assess if procedures and policies are effective and seek to improve them where appropriate.
Warwickshire is famous the world over as Shakespeare’s county, but that’s only half the story. We’re also one of the UK’s fastest-growing commercial regions, creating exciting opportunities for everyone who lives and works here. Be part of our collaborative, innovative culture and we’ll empower you to bring ideas for new ways of working, to help keep improving the services we provide. In return we offer plenty of training and development opportunities, to help you keep growing in your role. And, because your long-term wellbeing is just as important to us as your ambition, we’ll support you with a great work/life balance enhanced by a generous holiday allowance and access to the desirable Local Government contributory pension scheme.