Lead Specialist - Regional Accounting - Africa (12 months FTC)
About The Association
Combining the strengths of the American Institute of CPAs and the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants, we empower the world’s most highly-skilled accountants – CPAs and CGMA designation holders – with the knowledge, insight and foresight to meet today’s demands and tomorrow’s challenges. We drive a dynamic accounting profession that works every day to build trust, create opportunity and grow prosperity worldwide.
Summary of Role
Provide financial, clerical, and administrative services to ensure efficient, timely, and accurate processing of financial information up to trial balance for the African region. Collaborate with Global Business Services (GBS) colleagues and work as a member of a high performing team, understanding that the role’s duties are a pivotal part of the team’s deliverables.
This role must step in for the Senior Specialist – Finance in a backup capacity during times of annual leave or similar.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- Responsible for regional accounts receivable processes that have not transitioned to GBS. This includes, but not limited to, bad debt provisions, debt chasing, proper revenue recognition, maintaining revenue reconciliations, supervise AR reports completed by GBS, review and posting of prepayments, sundry receivables, staff debt etc.
- Prepare and process requisitions, receipts and purchase order updates as required for assigned procurement activity
- Responsible for regional accounts payable processes that have not transitioned to GBS. This includes, but not limited to, supervise AP and Purchasing reports completed by GBS, review and posting of manual accruals, sundry payables, maintenance of Benevolent Fund in the region etc.
- Responsible for regional cash management processes and maintenance of the credit card machine in South Africa. This includes prepare, record and reconcile all bank entries by compiling and analysing all bank statements, and preparing external bank transactions and reconciliation
- Responsible for recordkeeping of regional contracts: monitoring & keeping up to date repository of insurance, lease and other significant agreements
- Responsible for grant applications/requests in Oracle, follow up on grant payments, notifying the Manager Finance if funds are running low etc.
- Maintain the regional foreign currency and local petty cash floats, ensuring cash is available for business requirements and managed and monitored according to the agreed policies and procedures, while keeping risk exposure of to the business to a minimum
- Maintain all the regional fixed assets schedules including the accurate processing of depreciation, additions, disposals and ensuring the assets are adequately identifiable and insured
- Monthly preparation and analysis of regional balance sheet reconciliations for all balance sheet accounts
- Responsible for the global and regional intercompany claims and reconciliations
- Prepare monthly and yearly journals
- Maintain the credit card processes in the region, ensuring expenses are properly recorded and approved by the line manager
- Assist with external and internal audits by preparing requested schedules and addressing auditor inquiries, especially for areas of accountability.
- Ensure the South African Reserve Bank Exchange Control Application is renewed on a timely basis
- Bank liaison for Africa Region
- Execute ad hoc projects / duties as assigned or self-initiated.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required
- Solid knowledge and understanding of basic accounting principles
- Trustworthy and Reliable
- Good command of English, both verbal and written
- Ability to handle pressure and work independently
- Team player
- Deadline oriented/well organised
- Solid Excel skills
- Attention to detail
Required Experience, Qualifications & Education
- Minimum 2 years’ experience as an accounts clerk or bookkeeper required
- BCom or equivalent completed
Preferred Experience, Qualifications & Education
- Operational or management level CIMA student
- Working in a complex international matrix organization
- 3 - 5 years working experience preferable
- Experience with Oracle ERP systems preferable
Why Work for Us?
At The Association, you are part of a global, diverse and talented group of colleagues. You have opportunities to innovate and collaborate in a leading organization that impacts individuals and businesses. You’ll have opportunities to progress while enjoying an exciting work environment that supports and celebrates individual achievement, development and professional satisfaction.
Together, we will lead the most influential body of professional accountants and create the future of the global accounting profession.
We offer competitive benefits, PTO, flexible working principles, and a supportive, collaborative team environment.