Senior Manager - Sustainability Reporting & Assurance
About The Association
Combining the strengths of the American Institute of CPAs and the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants, we empower the world’s most highly-skilled accountants – CPAs and CGMA designation holders – with the knowledge, insight and foresight to meet today’s demands and tomorrow’s challenges. We drive a dynamic accounting profession that works every day to build trust, create opportunity and grow prosperity worldwide.
Summary of Role:
Responsible for serving as the lead technical liaison in collaborating with volunteer members and leading the development of technical guidance, events, member communications and resources that enhance the skillsets of and help position global assurance, accounting and finance professionals as sustainability leaders adopting Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) factors into their business strategies and services. Responsible for serving as the Association’s spokesperson on the topic of sustainability reporting and assurance services which includes media interviews, member technical questions, and presentations to committees, members and other organizations.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities:
- Lead and manage task forces and working groups in the development (and maintenance, as necessary) of sustainability assurance and advisory guidance. This includes guides; practice aids (such as FAQs) and other nonauthoritative tools; educational materials; member communications; comment letters; or other materials for assurance (includes audit, attest and advisory), accounting and finance professionals related to ESG reporting and assurane.
- Lead and manage the development of thought leadership materials such as whitepapers and articles; presentations, and other senior executive, staff and member support materials; collaborate with outside organizations on the development of thought leadership, tools and events where appropriate on sustainability-related subject matters of mutual interest.
- Oversee the development/technical review of learning content for sustainability reporting, assurance and advisory engagements, including self-study, webinars and certificate programs.
- Proactively identify significant issues and evolving member needs related to sustainability reporting, assurance and advisory services; develop and and manage the response to member needs and market developments; and lead the development and implementation of solutions to address member needs.
- Proactively identify, develop and maintain strategic relationships and alliances with third-party individuals and entities that can assist in the growth and market acceptance of sustainability reporting and assurance engagements. This includes identifying and developing opportunities to increase market awareness about sustainability reporting practices and assurance engagements via speaking engagements and panel sessions at conferences.
- Act as a spokesperson on behalf of the Association on the topic of sustainability reporting and assurance, which includes media interviews, responses to member technical questions, and presentations to committees, members and other organizations.
- Manage coordination with other Association teams, committees, and/or membership sections to ensure cross-pollination of sustainability and other related engagement efforts across both public accounting and management accounting.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Working knowledge of the AICPA attestation and advisory standards
- Strong understanding of the sustainability/ESG/CSR reporting and assurance landscape including key sustainability reporting organizations and their related standards and frameworks
- Ability and willingness to develop and maintain business relationships with individuals at key sustainability-related professional organizations, standards setters, regulatory bodies and other relevant organizations
- Ability and willingness to develop sufficient working knowledge of new and emerging sustainability reporting, assurance and advisory related matters as needed to facilitate collaboration with member subject matter experts on the development of guidance and thought leadership materials
- Self-starter and able to work without supervision
- Strong project management skills and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong interpersonal skills with proven ability to work collaboratively and build consensus within a team environment
- Ability to apply decision-making and problem-solving skills to emerging and complex matters
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong research skills
- Entrepreneurial aptitude for technical writing, developing events and managing multiple project deadlines
Required Experience, Qualifications & Education:
- Minimum of 7-8 years of relevant experience that delivers strong understanding of the accounting profession, US and international financial reporting standards and auditing/assurance services
Preferred Experience, Qualifications & Education:
- CPA license and/or have completed an MBA or Master’s in Accounting
- 5+ years’ developing technical accounting, auditing or advisory guidance
- 5+ years of public accounting experience performing sustainability reporting, assurance or advisory engagements for a variety of clients in various industries
- 5+ years of experience in non-financial business reporting, performance measurement and management, and strategic planning
Why Work for Us?
At The Association, you are part of a global, diverse and talented group of colleagues. You have opportunities to innovate and collaborate in a leading organization that impacts individuals and businesses. You’ll have opportunities to progress while enjoying an exciting work environment that supports and celebrates individual achievement, development and professional satisfaction.
Together, we will lead the most influential body of professional accountants and create the future of the global accounting profession.
We offer competitive benefits, PTO, flexible working principles, and a supportive, collaborative team environment.