UK Financial Controller
A senior finance role with full ownership and responsibility for the accounting records of Adaptimmune plc and Adaptimmune Ltd. Leading and managing the UK accounting team to achieve an accurate and timely monthly close, in line with the reporting deadline, and ensuring compliance with SOX requirements. This includes managing all accounting for clinical trials and R&D, working with senior operational colleagues to ensure that all relevant costs are captured in a timely manner.
Supporting the Group Accounting and FP&A functions and senior operational colleagues with management information and analysis.
Developing and mentoring the team and continuously improving processes as the company grows and approaches a commercial launch.
- Supervising the monthly accounting process to achieve the reporting deadline, reviewing and approving journals, reviewing the management accounts, reviewing the balance sheet reconciliations.
- Process and control owner for significant audit risk areas, including clinical and general accruals and the R&D tax credit. This involves maintaining process notes and the risk and control matrix for those areas, being the point of contact for audit purposes and ensuring that there are no audit deficiencies in design, implementation, or execution.
- Review of payroll, payment runs and VAT returns
- Managing the team and its processes, developing and refining in line with business growth
- Providing management information and analysis to Group and senior operational colleagues, including monitoring costs on large contracts
- Liaising with senior clinical colleagues to keep up to date with any developments in clinical trials or clinical systems with an impact on accounting or accounting processes. Ad-hoc projects or duties as assigned.
- Qualified accountant (ACA/CIMA/ACCA)
- University degree
- Extensive experience as a Financial Controller in a commercial environment
- Extensive experience of managing and developing a team
- SOX experience
- Experience of working in a fast-paced changing environment
- Experience of identifying and implementing process improvements
- Biotech experience
- Experience of percentage of completion accounting
- Experience of international transactions and VAT
- Ability to deal with and report on complex accounting matters and complex contracts
- Strong IT skills, including Excel and ERP systems
- Effective planning and project management skills with the ability to set and work to personal, team and organizational deadlines
- Confident in dealing with the auditors, acting as the point of contact for the UK books
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong leadership skills with a focus on staff development and team building
- Self-motivated with a strong sense of ownership in areas of responsibility
- Mindset of continuous improvement, challenging existing processes and developing solutions that are scalable as the company grows
- Ability to maintain a strong control environment, ensuring continued SOX compliance whilst developing and improving processes and procedures
- Ability to adapt in a constantly evolving environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to clearly deliver financial information to different stakeholders, both big picture and detail
- Pro-active in obtaining information needed for accounting judgements and keeping abreast of any developments that may have an accounting impact by establishing and maintaining relationships across the business
Being open-minded to different ways of doing things. Taking time to think and pro-actively seek out and propose improvements to processes and procedures, without compromising accounting accuracy and the control environment.
Working together with Finance and other colleagues to share knowledge and information.
decision making authority
Responsible for making accounting judgements on accruals.
Responsible for recruitment and deployment of staff within the UK accounting team.
Size and scope of team
Three direct reports currently
At Adaptimmune we embrace diversity and equality of opportunity. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of age, colour, disability, marital status, national origin, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status or other legally protected category. It is our intent that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment.
Powered by JazzHR