Chief Financial Officer
- Provide leadership and expertise on all financial and business matters as an integral member of the Executive Leadership Team. Provide support to the Executive Team to ensure ongoing compliance with fiscal goals.
- Develop short and long-range financial plans, play an active advising role regarding organizational priorities based on strategic needs of the hospital, and in consideration of financial benefits, capital availability and cost/benefit analyses.
- Develop and implement policies, procedures and systems that promote the overall financial health, establish and maintain adequate systems of internal controls inclusive of regular reviews to identify areas for improvement/optimization.
- Play a key role in the development and approval of operating and capital budgets taking into account the strategic plan and long-range financial plan of the participating entities. Ensure that routine performance and analytic reports facilitate the identification of trends and improvement opportunities relative to approved budgets.
- Provide direction and education for a staff of financial leaders and support personnel whose role it is to partner with operations executives, physicians and system staff in the formulation and implementation of plans and initiatives that strengthen the organization.
- Work in close partnership with the Chief Medical Officer in analysis of physician performance and the subsequent improvement of clinical measures and financial outcomes of the medical staff.
- Assist the centralized functions of accounting, business office, accounts payable, payroll, decision support and managed care as to ensure maximization of performance, quality, efficiency and effectiveness.
- Support the system revenue cycle by providing leadership over revenue cycle and other operational areas including active participation in revenue cycle denial management, revenue capture and supporting managed care contracts.
- Maintain a "business leader" approach with a continual awareness of external/environmental issues along with an active understanding of organizational needs and priorities.
- Represent the finance function by participating on committees, task forces, work groups and multidisciplinary teams.
- Review and analyze cost performance including staff productivity, supply utilization, administrative costs, variances to budget. Monitors and measures performance against internal and external benchmarks.
- Prepare, present and analyze data and interpret trends for the use of operations executives and ensure that management discussion and assessment reports are relevant, timely and used for improving effectiveness.
- Assist in the analysis of managed care payer and governmental payer performance, as well as provide insights on critical contract changes to improve reimbursement.
- Participate in the negotiations and resolution of multiple opportunities based upon long-term needs and organizational values and operating principles.
- Participate in system work groups for the planning, design and roll-out of organization-wide programs. Advocate for the approval of entity projects, requests and initiatives based on sound evidence and fit with long-term strategic needs.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field
- 10 years of demonstrated, progressively responsible, strategic, financial leadership/management experience within a large hospital, preferably an academic medical center.
- Thorough knowledge of GAAP and awareness of continuing changes that affect financial reporting. Excellent success collaborating with the Chief Information Officer
- Financial success in managing a complex healthcare environment
- Ability to navigate within a complex environment in which competing projects and priorities must be rationalized
- Epic experience