Insurance Division Controller
Acquired by Storable in 2019 and based in York, PA, StorsmartPortfolio Insurance Company is a premier self-storage contents insurance company offered exclusively through Property First Group LP, an insurance agency. The Storsmart/Baderinsurance programs were developed from more than 40 years of experience in self-storage operations and insurance and feature the most comprehensive contents insurance programs in the industry.
Reporting to the Corporate Controller, the Insurance Division Controller will have direct responsibility for timely and accurate delivery of Storsmart/PFGs financial statements and monthly financial reporting, building and maintaining a robust control environment and ensuring compliance with insurance regulations. The Insurance Division Controller will lead a team of three direct reports made up of accounting professionals.
All applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
What you will do every day:
- Prepare financial reporting and commentary on a monthly basis for both internal and external stakeholders and lead the Insurance annual audits
- Build, develop and continuously improve a strong control framework which includes leading initiatives that deliver increased automation, close efficiency and effective management reporting
- Manage cash flows of the entity and deliver cash forecasting on a weekly basis.
- Manage, mentor and develop the insurance accounting team
- Partner strategically with CFO, Corporate Controller and Finance team with respect to financial analysis, management reporting budgeting and forecasting process
- Collaborate with business leaders to ensure strong working knowledge of the operations and risks of the business to ensure accuracy of reporting
- Partner with external actuaries to deliver actuarial/reserve analysis
- Liaise and partner with external consultants on tax related issues
- Prepare regulatory and compliance reporting and licensing
- Respond to DOI complaints
- Own the communication and relationships with the captive manager and client captive owners
- Perform due diligence or special projects as needed by the business
- Assist in placement of reinsurance and quarterly reporting
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance
- 10+ years of accounting experience, including at least 5+ years of supervisory experience
- Proficient in US GAAP (and IFRS preferable) especially as it pertains to insurance accounting
- Knowledge of statutory accounting, reinsurance accounting and other aspects of insurance operations, with captive manager experience a plus
- Strong communication, management and process improvement skills
- Demonstrated ability to implement technology to improve close efficiency and control framework
- Ability to collaborate with consultants and operational partners in the business to build audit ready systems and succeed in a fast paced, constantly evolving environment
- Proficient with the Microsoft Office Suite, including strong excel skills
- Netsuite and QuickBooks software experience preferred
What you will need to bring to the table:
- Ability to work in a fast paced, high performance environment while maintaining a high level of accuracy and accountability
- Ability to effectively lead and develop people in an evolving, cross-functional environment and build relationships with external stakeholders
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and organization skills with exceptional attention to detail
- High level of initiative and motivation
- Strong work ethic with a drive to succeed
- Flexibility and resourcefulness to succeed in a fast-growing environment while managing to multiple deadlines
- Propensity to automate processes for efficiency and data integrity
At Storable, we believe storage operators should have one partner they can trust to help you get the results they need for their business. Thats why weve built the industrys first fully integrated platform that offers facility management software, facility websites, marketing programs and services, payments, and deeply integrated tenant insurance capabilities all in one solution.
We leverage our platform in combination with our over 25 years of storage industry expertise to help our thousands of storage customers achieve their tenant experience and operational efficiency objectives every single day.
Benefits and Perks:
- Competitive base salary with bonus
- Company who prefers to promotes from within
- Generous health coverage for you and your family, including short- and long-term disability coverage, 401(k) and HSA matching, company-provided life insurance, and more.
- Instant-Access & Flexible vacation. We trust you, so we have a take what you need vacation policy. No waiting to use it or need for accruals.
- Do More, Be More Company rewards and recognition that add up and can be redeemed for once-in-a-lifetime Bucketlist experiences!
- Get active in the community by joining one of our many quarterly offsite volunteer and community service events.
- Fun company events, including Halloween costume contests, ugly sweater competitions, baseball game outings, ice cream socials, food trucks, and more.