Sr Financial Analyst
North American Rail Commercial reporting and analysis :
- Develop, update, maintain and document queries for the SAP-Business Warehouse Fleet Analysis Tool to report fleet utilization and the roll-forward of fleet activity from the prior period including fleet additions, disposals, renewals, assignments and releases.
- Prepare monthly sales activity report and report key/significant activity-based renewals, releases, and assignments and obtain commentary from fleet managers.
- Determine renewal success percentage and the underlying contributing car types.
- Calculate Lease Pricing Index and analyze variances from budget, forecast and prior periods.
- Prepare North America and European trend tables/charts/graphs of key performance metrics for commercial sections of monthly and quarterly operation reports. Analyze reasons for change from forecast, budget and prior periods.
- Prepare exposure reports showing the number of railcars and respective lease rates coming up for renewal by customer and car type in a given period obtain commentary from fleet managers for inclusion.
- Develop, update, maintain and document queries for the SAP-Business Warehouse Revenue Analysis Tool to prepare rate/volume and various other revenue analyses.
- Prepare information and support for quarterly review meetings for expired and expiring, idle fleet roll-forward, lease rate performance, term management and key customer exposures.
- Compile incentive compensation plan targets and results for Rail's North American sales force.
- Analyze system generated data for erroneous information. Work with Fleet Managers and IT to discover the cause and correct any problems.
- Actively participate in the forecasting and budgeting of North American railcar revenue. This includes having a solid, working knowledge of the budget model, developing and maintaining templates, collecting input from account managers, fleet managers, structured finance, and others throughout the organization to build budget assumptions, develop revenue and investment projections; and analysis of results for commercial management review.
- Prepare key metrics, analysis and supporting information for budget and forecast presentations to management.
- Evaluate the budget/forecast model and reporting processes to identify improvement opportunities. Document the processes and continually review and update documentation to reflect any changes.
- Compile and analyze data for the ERL audit requirements set by Fleet and Audit.
- Actively participate in railcar supply agreement reporting.
Special Assignments/Projects :
- Provide analytical support for interdepartmental projects and activities. Examples include railcar-based financings, pricing and investment analysis, operations finance, and market analysis.
- Other frequent ad-hoc analyses and reports as required by GATX senior management and Rail Commercial management.
- Bachelors degree in finance, accounting, engineering, or other field requiring analytical thinking is required; MBA or other advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum 3+ years of relevant experience in analytical roles required.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills required.
- Experience with SAP, data mining and databases required.
- Knowledge of equipment leasing and/or North America rail industry desirable.