We're NFP, a four-time Best Places to Work award winner in Business Insurance for 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020. We are also recognized as an Elite 2018 Agency award winner named as a Top Employee Benefits Firm. We are a leading Insurance Broker and Consultant that provides Employee Benefits, Property & Casualty, and Retirement and Individual Private Client solutions to help our clients reach and realize their goals because we believe business is personal. Our personal commitment to our team and our clients have created long-lasting and successful relationships across our growing 300+ nationwide offices and 17 international locations. To learn more, please visit: https://www.nfp.com/
Summary: The Director, Payroll will have responsibility for day to day leadership and management of the Corporate Payroll team supporting payroll operations for NFP's North American based businesses. This position will also have dotted line responsibility for 5-6 payroll resources aligned with different business units based in the field, driving processes, standardization, best practices and reporting.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the processing of NFP's regular payroll (100+ separate companies covering 5,000+ employees across the US and Canada, majority on a bi-weekly cycle) and other ad-hoc payments processed by the Payroll function
- Lead the activities of a 3-4 person Corporate payroll team and indirectly lead 5-6 field payroll resources to ensure payroll processing is accurate and consistent across the company. For direct reports, lead the goal setting, development, feedback and compensation administration efforts as part of the overall performance management process
- Ensure accurate calculation of wages, tax withholdings, and company deductions
- Prepare reports on employee pay, commissions and bonuses, vacation, sick time, disability and workers compensation leave, and taxes/withholdings, etc.
- Maintain compliance with federal and state regulations and reporting requirements related to payroll and all associated processes
- Work with federal, state and local tax jurisdictions on payroll matters related to acquisitions and divestitures
- Drive standardization and scalability within the payroll function
- Establish strong working relationships with key partners including:
- HRIS/HR Operations team
- Mergers & Acquisitions team, to integrate payroll processing for acquired organizations
- Benefits team
- HR Business Partners
- Finance & Accounting team
- Develop and deliver timely and accurate payroll metrics/reports
Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of the principles and practices of payroll in North America (US and Canada)
- Significant background in payroll and employment tax matters
- Strong knowledge of HRIS and Payroll systems and interfaces
- Experience effectively managing local and remote payroll resources
- High degree of integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to multi-task with a developed sense of urgency and follow-through
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor's degree required
- At least 10 years of previous experience in payroll operations in a similarly complex organization required
- At least 3 years of previous experience in a supervisory capacity required
- Experience in the financial services or insurance industry strongly preferred
- Expertise with Ultimate Software Core HR and Payroll (SAAS) experience highly preferred
- Experience with ADP SmartCompliance for tax strongly preferred
Certificates, Licenses, Registration:
Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to handle or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.
What We Offer
NFP is proud to offer a competitive salary, PTO & paid holidays, 401(k) with match, exclusive discount programs, health & wellness programs, and more. Our PeopleFirst culture focuses on building and nurturing lifelong relationships with our employees because, at the end of the day, we exist to be there for others.
NFP and You... Better. Together.
NFP is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer.