Lead Payroll Analyst
Provides technical support for payroll department activities with specific responsibility for overseeing, processing and recording employee and payroll related transactions in compliance with established policies.
Also provides instructions, recommendations and support to other company personnel for routine inquiries and specific areas assigned by the supervisor and manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops and oversees the preparing and recording of payroll related transactions including reporting requirements for retirement and other benefits, taxes and garnishments.
- Compiles payroll data such as, but not limited to, hours worked, taxes, insurance, 401(k) benefits and garnishments using Workday.
- Prepares and records changes affecting net wages, such as, exemptions, insurance coverage, 401(k) and all other voluntary deductions to ensure accurate update to master payroll records.
- Oversees the maintenance of account records relating to these transactions including reconciliations of related balances.
- Interfaces with internal employees, representing GIA with professionalism and a service mind set.
- Oversees with month-end and year-end close process including analysing and reviewing reconciliation of general ledger accounts.
- Compiles and Responsible for year-end procedures including, but not limited to, Workers' Compensation and 401(k) annual audits, and annual payroll tax filings and reconciliations.
- Interacts closely with division and department managers regarding workday time tracking issues as necessary.
- Plans, assigns and reviews the work of others and provides guidance and training to direct reports.
- Works under general direction and independently determines and develops approach to solutions.
- Uses judgement to select appropriate action from defined procedures/ guidelines;
- Seeks help from experienced staff and/or management for troubleshooting non-routine issues.
- Adheres to all applicable laws, procedures, policies and directives issued by the company and government agencies.
- Other duties as assigned.
TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities)
- Knowledge of specific California, New York, New Jersey and other US states and federal wage laws, tax criteria, and standard tax rates; and ability to apply these factors to specific earnings scenarios to ensure compliance with applicable laws.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
- Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Strong computer skills utilizing software such as Microsoft Office Suite, e.g., MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint; and e-mail.
- Ability to maintain and foster sensitivity and respect for a culturally diverse work environment.
- Ability to display supportive behavior and communicate positively regarding department goals and objectives.
- Ability to deal effectively with a variety of personalities to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to fulfill assigned commitments in a timely manner within established budgets while achieving quality results.
- Excellent grammar, written and verbal communication skills.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Associate's degree in Business or equivalent from two-year College or technical school.
- 5+ years related experience.
- Post-secondary coursework in accounting highly preferred.
- 1+ year of experience leading / coaching others preferred.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS / WORK ENVIRONMENT (if applicable)
- Work is performed in a designated professional office workstation and environment.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, or crouch.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
This job description indicates in general terms, the type and level of work performed as well as the typical responsibilities of employees in this classification and it may be changed by management at any time. Other duties may also apply. Nothing in this job description changes the at-will employment relationship existing between the Company and its employees. Distribution of this item outside of the Company without an authorized release is a violation of Company policy.
Disclaimer: This job description indicates in general terms, the type and level of work performed as well as the typical responsibilities of employees in this classification and it may be changed by management at any time. Other duties may also apply. Nothing in this job description changes the at-will employment relationship existing between the Company and its employees.