Credit Review, Vice President
Credit Review provides the Board and bank management with an independent view of the quantity, quality and direction of credit risk in the America's portfolio.
This position requires an individual with a strong credit analysis background covering corporate borrowers across various industry segments (experience covering Telecommunications, Technology, and/or Sponsor/LBO finance transactions a plus). The candidate will assist the Team in completing the annual review plan by conducting independent credit reviews to ensure compliance with Bank policies and procedures as well as adherence with regulatory guidelines thereby minimizing losses. The ideal candidate will possess the ability to communicate credit risk management weaknesses identified to Credit Review senior management and the line of business; as well as effectively challenge internal and regulatory risk ratings where appropriate.
- In the course of performing individual credit reviews, use professional expertise to opine on the adequacy of facility underwriting and documentation, including, but not limited to, collateral, repayment sources, risk appetite, leverage, enterprise valuations, discounted cash flow analysis.
- Assess the sufficiency of credit risk monitoring programs, relevant performance covenants and monitoring guidelines and trigger events. Ensure all credit extensions are made in compliance with Mizuho's lending policies and procedures and regulatory guidelines.
- Evaluate borrower financial performance through the assessment of financial statements and credit risk metrics, including income statement, cash flow statement, balance sheet and capital structure analysis. Evaluate the financial performance against all base and stress-scenario financial projections as required.
- Determine the accuracy of U.S. Regulatory Classifications and internal risks ratings / Head Office Customer Categorization, Recommend, document and fully support all changes to the same in the accordance with Credit Review's position as final arbiter.
- Use knowledge of industry best practices, regulatory requirements and professional experience to identify deficiencies and/or areas of improvement in Mizuho's credit risk management processes, procedures and policies.
- Verify the adequacy of the Allocation for Loan and Lease Losses (ALLL) procedures as required.
- Perform regular Risk Assessments for assigned portfolio segments to accurately document Credit Review's current opinion of the quantity, quality and direction of credit risk in the Mizuho America's portfolio. Maintain regular contact with front office, credit, audit and compliance colleagues, and utilize third-party resources and professional networks, to provide as accurately and timely an assessment as possible.
- Perform Continuous Monitoring reviews on assigned portfolio segments to enhance the early detection of credit risk in the Mizuho America's credit portfolio and enhance Credit Review's Risk Assessment process.
- Draft potential review issues for discussion with relevant Reviewer-in-Charge, Credit Review management and with review targets as directed.
- Use portfolio knowledge and expertise to assist in the planning, preparation and training of review team members prior to the start of review fieldwork as directed.
Policies & Procedures
- Maintain expertise of the U.S. regulatory environments as required including topical issues and new or pending laws/regulations that may affect banking and credit review.
- Ensure consistency in the application of the risk rating process and risk evaluation through the various business units of the bank & its subsidiaries and the compliance of the same with all regulatory guidance.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of all policies and procedures related to lending, credit rating and problem loan monitoring. Proactively recommend changes to Mizuho's and Credit Review's policies and procedures as needed.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of assigned portfolio segments as assigned.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of the bank's compliance rules and regulations in accordance with the directives of Americas Legal & Compliance Department (ALCD) and in compliance with Mizuho's Code of Conduct.
- Additional responsibilities / special projects as directed by management.
- Successful completion of a formal financial services credit training program.
- 7 or more years of credit related experience with a major financial institution and/or equivalent experience with a U.S. bank regulatory agency (FRB, OCC, etc.).
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Economics, Accounting or Business Administration or equivalent work experience necessary.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Able to arrive at creative solutions; a self-starter
- Familiarity with a variety of credit products (i.e. corporate credit, acquisition financing, project finance, etc.) and willingness to learn new credit products.
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Advanced knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite of products.
- Some travel required.
Mizuho Americas is a leading financial institution comprising several legal entities, which together offer clients corporate and investment banking, financing, securities, treasury services, asset management, research and more. Mizuho's operations in the Americas connect a broad client base of major corporations, financial institutions and public sector groups to local markets and a vast global network. Mizuho Americas is an integral part of the Japan-based Mizuho Financial Group, Inc. (NYSE: MFG), which is comprised of offices in nearly 40 countries, approximately 60,000 employees, and assets of more than USD 1.8 trillion. Learn more at mizuhoamericas.com.
Mizuho Bank Ltd. offers a competitive total rewards package.
We are an EEO/AA Employer - M/F/Disability/Veteran.
We participate in the E-Verify program.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.