Investment Process Lead, ESG Integration - BlackRock Sustainable Investing - Director
About this role
About our Business
BlackRock Sustainable Investing (BSI) unifies the firm's sustainable investment strategies onto a single platform and partners with our global investment and distribution teams to develop scalable and innovative solutions ranging from screens and environmental social governance (ESG) strategies to Impact Investing. Launched in 2015, our BSI platform provides investors with a range of strategies across asset classes, investment vehicles and impact profiles. With over $725 billion in sustainable assets under management, BlackRock leverages our differentiated investment platform, proprietary technology, data analytics, deep ESG expertise and culture of innovation to offer sustainable solutions to our clients.
Today, BSI consists of 40 people globally, led by Paul Bodnar, who are focused on identifying drivers of long-term returns associated with environmental, social and governance issues, integrating them throughout BlackRock's investment processes, and creating innovative investment solutions that address clients' environmental and social objectives alongside their financial objectives.
About our Team
BlackRock has been on a multi-year journey to integration of our full investment platform - increasingly a key client imperative in selecting Asset Management partners. The breadth of our investment platform, and the reach of our integration approach across asset classes, investment styles, and geographies, has enabled BlackRock to put in place one of the most robust ESG integration programs in the industry.
ESG integration is a key proof point of how BlackRock is putting sustainability considerations at the center of our investment process: because we believe that climate risks and sustainability risks are investment risks, we've put in place an investment process to ensure that we incorporate these considerations into all of our active investment strategies-not just those with a sustainable objective.
Our ESG integration team was established as a dedicated group within BSI in 2020 and ESG integration is now established as a component of all active investment processes.
About this Role
The ESG Integration team is seeking a Director to act as investment process lead. This role will partner with the Risk and Quantitative Analysis Group (RQA), and ESG champions across the investment functions to strengthen our understanding of the intersection between traditional investment processes and sustainability insights, and continue to build on the rigor and governance of the firm's approach to integrating material ESG considerations in risk management and portfolio management.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Supporting the Global Head of ESG integration and the Global Co-Head of Risk and Quantitative Analysis with research and technical expertise to deepen/strengthen ESG integration and ESG risk management across asset classes.
- Acting as the firm's expert on tactical execution of ESG integration across the full scope of BlackRock's active investment teams.
- Leading partnerships to co-develop scalable risk frameworks and decision structures to assess material ESG risks across investment team processes; Partnering with Portfolio Analytics group to develop technical tools and capabilities to support these frameworks.
- Using regular partner meetings to advance key objectives; joining portfolio oversight meetings as needed.
- Leading regular and ad-hoc analysis of portfolio positioning changes across the active platform.
- Acting as a source of expertise and advice on evolving market context and best practice; Identifying targeted opportunities for practice change that can either meaningfully move the dial on internal investment practice at BlackRock and/or use BlackRock as a tool to meaningfully move the dial on the practice of integration in the market.
- Contributing to execution of new regulatory requirements in our ESG integration approach.
- Representing BlackRock's ESG Integration program internally and externally.
About our ideal candidate
- 10-15 years of experience in finance, policy, research, NGO or related sectors with strong background in the intersection of ESG and finance; minimum three years of experience with ESG integration concepts and practice in an asst management context.
- Research or practical experience assessing the impact of climate and/or other sustainability risks on asset prices strongly preferred but not required.
- Passionate about the opportunity to change market practice through thought leadership, rigorous analysis and executing incremental but scalable change.
- Team orientation: enjoying collaboration and achieving outcomes as a team is essential - this team works collaboratively and in partnership with stakeholders across the firm, and our best success is helping our partners make better decisions on behalf of our clients.
- Ability to both manage directly and lead through influence; and to leverage and develop a strong network across diverse stakeholders.
- Adaptability and strong work ethic; comfortable handling a wide array of requests and tasks.
This position will ideally be based in London, but we can consider New York for the right candidate.
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about.
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children's educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment - the one we make in our employees. It's why we're dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com | www.blackrock.com/corporate | Instagram: @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.