Assistant Director, ABARES Finance
Who we are
The Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Sciences provides professionally independent, high quality research, analysis and advice to inform policy and decision-making by government and the private sector on significant issues affecting Australia's agriculture, food and fibre industries. ABARES has capabilities in multi-disciplinary research and analysis in the fields of economics, science and social science with application across agriculture, fisheries, forestry, food and water.
The Agricultural Forecasting and Trade Branch provides market and statistical analysis, information, forecasts and advice on Australia's agricultural industries and international issues of significance. The ABARES Impact and Engagement section is nested in this branch.
The ABARES Impact and Engagement Section supports ABARES' research activities through the provision of management and coordination services across project, program and resource management, major and regional events, corporate and business planning, communications and departmental library services.
The Assistant Director ABARES Finance is a position within ABARES, responsible for the provision of business and project support services and advice to ABARES senior executive and project managers.
• Management of budget and financial review activities on behalf of the division including forecasting and reporting of the division's external revenue position and liaison with the Finance division
• Review of proposals, contracts and agreements for externally funded activities
• Coordination of project financial and milestone reporting across all activities of the division
• Provision of advice to senior executive and project managers on specific financial, procurement and governance responsibilities applicable to project delivery
• Preparation of senate estimates briefings and responses to divisional senate and divisional reporting requirements
• Review and development, as required, of divisional policies, procedures and templates to enable appropriate financial and project governance and reporting within the division
• Provision of leadership and management to a small project administration team in its delivery of project administration advice and reporting to the division.
Skills and Capabilities
This position will suit a professional and highly motivated person who has the proven ability to:
• manage the budget activities for the division
• develop financial and project guidance and reporting appropriate to the business needs of the division
• engage and communicate effectively with senior management, project managers and enabling divisions
• contribute meaningfully to team priorities as well as lead a small team to deliver a broad range of services to the division within the context of a constantly changing environment, scope of requirements and limited resources
• develop and maintain relationships with people at all levels in the workplace
• manage competing priorities, work to tight deadlines and demonstrate strong attention to detail
• supervise and manage staff to deliver on team output as required
• demonstrate strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
Knowledge and experience
Experience in financial and business management activities together with strong interpersonal skills will be a definite asset.
For additional information, please read the Job Description below.
Candidate Information Package docx Opens in new window
Candidate Information Package pdf Opens in new window
Job Description Opens in new window