Assistant Director - Audit and Assurance Group
Who we are
The Audit and Assurance Group is a branch within the department that manages departmental auditors, competent across commodities, in order to provide high quality regulatory audits to clients. Nationally, this team provides regulatory audits and other assurance activities to manage the compliance of import and export registered establishments, industry Authorised Officers and entities operating under Approved Arrangements.
We have around 90 staff - auditors, technical experts and mentors, client services officers, operational managers, and business managers. We are a national stream with staff located in departmental offices in major capital cities as well as regional centres.
We conduct more than 8,000 audits each year for multiple commodities:
• 3,300 compliance agreement and quarantine approved premise audits
• 1,400 plant export protocol audits
• 850 plant export registered establishment audits
• 390 fish, eggs and dairy export audits
• 300 meat processing export audits
• 250 plant quarantine approved premise audits
• 1,900 Plant Authorised Officer verifications.
The key duties of the position include:
The role of an Assistant Director is to provide leadership across teams in delivering compliance activities. Roles will provide technical leadership to departmental staff and teams as well as external stakeholders and regulated entities. As an Assistant Director you will:
• provide leadership relating to the completion of activities that lead to improved industry compliance, including the delivery of audits across commodities and functions against the relevant criteria
• utilise your high-quality skills in undertaking assurance activities across the department and offshore
• perform competency assessments and verifications of the audit team to provide managers and the department with confidence that departmental auditors are equipped with adequate skills and knowledge to deliver a robust and consistent regulatory audit service to clients
• coach and mentor auditors within the parameters of the Auditor Management Framework (AMF)
• provide technical input and support to management
• lead the development and delivery of nationally consistent training, competency and verification activities for audit and assurance
• provide advice to audit staff and resolve complex audit issues
• represent the department in a variety of forums and liaise and effectively communicate with other government agencies, industry bodies and clients
• cultivate respectful and productive relationships within the department
• drive strategic outcomes and innovation and lead organisational change, providing technical leadership
• contribute to the development and implementation of new audit strategies, policies and assurance and capability frameworks
• provide a high level of leadership and management to national service delivery operations for the department.
Please note that this recruitment process will be used to fill multiple vacancies in the locations listed above. The merit pool established through this selection process, which is valid for a period of twelve months from the date the vacancy was advertised in the Gazette, may also be used to fill future ongoing vacancies where the duties are of a similar nature.
What we are looking for
Knowledge and experience
The positions involve working as a regulatory auditor in the import and export business areas and experience in the agriculture, food production or quality assurance sectors are of benefit.
Eligibility and other requirements
The successful applicants must:
• hold and maintain a valid Australian motor vehicle drivers licence
• note that the roles may involve some overseas, interstate and intrastate travel.
On 30 May 2021 the salary range for these positions will increase to $110,092 - $118,412.
RecruitAbility applies to this vacancy. Under the RecruitAbility scheme you will be invited to participate in further assessment activity for the vacancy if you choose to apply under the scheme; declare you have a disability; and meet the minimum requirements for the job. For more information visit: https://www.apsc.gov.au/recruitability